Maupin

W
WGS55
Any steelhead showing up on the Deschutes around Maupin?

S
sapo
Deschutes doesn't get a winter steelhead run...the summer steelhead run is pretty much over (it peaks in Maupin around October) but I've hooked some in late December before, if you're planning on keeping them that's not gonna happen but they're in there. Oh, and they love trout flies...stonefly nymphs work well

1ofthesedays
Was under the impression that I could catch steel head around mecca flats this time of year. Brand new to this game and had a wild hare a short time ago to put this on my bucket list. So I messed up again. Is there anywhere close to Bend that I can go to mark this off my list. Spent a small fortune on extra gear and the license, wow! Want to go. Thanks, Ron

O
OnTheDrop
Private message me^^^

W
WGS55
I guess my first question is ; is there a reason the Deschutes does not get a winter run? Second, its not gonna happen if i want to keep them?? Why, is there a problem with the fish (please remember I'm new to this)? According to the new regs its open from I84 up to Pelton dam. (New regs book page 47)

S
sapo
Not exactly sure why there isn't a winter run but the Columbia doesn't get many winters and that is what it's a trib to.

As far as keeping them, we are in January and you're talking about keeping summer steelhead...any steelhead in there will taste like dirt at this point

O
OnTheDrop
sapo said:
Not exactly sure why there isn't a winter run but the Columbia doesn't get many winters and that is what it's a trib to.

As far as keeping them, we are in January and you're talking about keeping summer steelhead...any steelhead in there will taste like dirt at this point

To the contrary, Summer Steelhead come in with WAY more fats and oils as opposed to Winter Steelhead. If you're summer Steelhead looks decent, it will probably still cut just fine. Not like how it was when it first entered a few months ago, but probably no worse than a Winter Steelhead...

Go catch a Hatchery fish and let us know how it cuts..

S
sapo
Yeah, but either way I've never had much success fishing for summers on the Deschutes in January...latest month I've hooked em is December

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Some mighty fine Redsides in that river, check the regs I think its all CR!