Marion Forks campground and upper Santiam

B
bigsteel
just curious if any of you fish the upper santiam?i mostly stick to the lower river and tributaries but would like to learn the higher river....where are some good places to start for trout fishing?is the fishing around marion forks CG any good?just planning ahead for summer.:)

C
capblack
i have seen people fishing by the bridge at the turnoff to rainbow lake, never tried it myself, only breitenbush

B
Bad Tuna
There are a lot of rainbows, a few Brookies and a few Cutts.

R
rainbowfisherman
I was at a hold just below Idahna in June, beautiful sunny day with a hatch going on. And the water had a couple slack spots, but the funny think was. I didn;t see a single fish rise. Strangest thing evr.

M
Markcanby
rainbowfisherman said:
I was at a hold just below Idahna in June, beautiful sunny day with a hatch going on. And the water had a couple slack spots, but the funny think was. I didn;t see a single fish rise. Strangest thing evr.

Not really that funny. A bright sunny day with little wind chop means fish fear teh overhead predators an dont want to rise.

R
rainbowfisherman
Well then that would definitly explain my issue. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:
Not really that funny. A bright sunny day with little wind chop means fish fear teh overhead predators an dont want to rise.
Nonsense. You need to try one of my olive crystal buggers.

M
Markcanby
I didn't realize those were Drys. Oh I get it they come out of the water after them as you are casting.

R
rainbowfisherman
Markcanby said:
I didn't realize those were Drys. Oh I get it they come out of the water after them as you are casting.

Sort of like flying fish right?:lol:

O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:
I'm tell'n ya man, those bugs are killers, they never have to hit the water. Trick is to shadow cast them like Brad Pitt did in that movie.