Lower Willamette report, 11-17-12, kayak sturgeon fishing

bass
bass
I went out on Saturday and only ended up with 6 shakers and 2 keepers and I lost my anchor.

First spot fished for about 45 minutes with no action. A couple of other kayak guys I know were doing pretty well on the opposite side of the river so I moved to that side upstream from them a ways. Immediately caught a keeper (~42"). Fished that spot for another hour to hour and half with only 4 more shakers to show for it. The interesting thing is this was around high tide, before tide started going out. I used 6oz of lead in this spot and probably could have gotten by with 4.

Went upstream a bit to a different hole and on the first drop caught a nice sized keeper (~45"). A few more misses at this spot but no more fish. I was fishing pretty close to shore and there were a couple of guys in a PB in the middle of the river doing well there, but they said most of their fish were shakers. They seemed to be get bit every 10-15 minutes or so. Since it seemed like there were a lot of small fish in the area I decided to move even though I was getting bit reasonably well. The cool thing is that there was a bald eagle in a tree a short distance upstream from where I was fishing. I tried to take some pics but I have not downloaded the pics off the camera yet.

I went upstream to a spot with a lot of current. The current was so strong I had a hard time getting my anchor to stick. Three times my anchor broke free just from reeling in my 12oz weight (10oz would not stick). I had a couple of good bites in this spot but I got sick of re-anchoring so I moved downstream a bit where the current was a bit slower, but still ripping pretty good. I picked up 2 shakers at the next spot. No more bites so I decide to move again. Anchor was stuck, it took me about 1/2 hour to get it free - what a pain. I could barely make progress upstream pulling the anchor rope peddling for all I was worth. After 5 minutes of maximum effort I would get a fair bit above the anchor and try to jerk it free. I would only get about 2 jerks before the current would sweep me back below my anchor. Then it was lather, rinse, repeat. Finally after a bunch of tries I was able to free my anchor.

After getting my anchor back I moved downstream a bit and re-anchored. I was rewarded by promptly getting snagged and losing my rig (12oz is $2.40). After a bit of fishing with no bites there I decided to head back downstream. Anchor stuck again! Another 1/2 hour of the same kind of effort as above to get it free.

I was tired of hanging my anchor so I went downstream to near where I caught the second keeper earlier in the day. There were some guys bank fishing near the spot I wanted to fish so I decided to go upstream a bit. I dropped anchor and fished for 1/2 hour with no bites. I decided to move down near where I started the day. Anchor hung again - this time for good. Probably spent 1/2 hour trying to free it to no avail. I was so bummed. After that I just headed home. I think I spent 1/2 my day anchoring or trying to free my anchor. It had to be one of the most frustrating and tiring fishing days of my life.

I took pics of the keepers, but I have not downloaded them off the camera yet. I will update this with the keeper pics and the eagle pics (if they do not stink) when I get around to it.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Great job getting the two keepers. Sorry about the frustration and lost anchor. Been there, done that.

bass
bass
jamisonace said:
Great job getting the two keepers. Sorry about the frustration and lost anchor. Been there, done that.

Friend of mine have been really killing it up here lately so I had really high hopes (his last trip was 4 over sized and 8 keeper sized!). However, a couple of keeper sized is definitely better than a skunking!

Trying to pull the anchor in those conditions from the kayak is a little scary when it is stuck. I almost lost my whole spool earlier on one of the drifts back when I had a hard time turning in the current to head back upstream to try for another pull. I was at the end of the spool sideways in the current, trying to not flip while I got the nose pointed upstream. I was ready to drop the spool and lose everything (anchor, spool and 300' of line), but after a few tense seconds I was able to get turned and head back upstream. Whew! That was when I decided to head back downstream where the current was a bit slower.

M
minnowmagnet
Sorry to hear about your anchor. I have lost a couple myself and it is always frustrating and sometimes scary when they get snagged. At least you didn't capsize yourself! The current is looking like it is going to be pretty severe for the next few days. Good job getting out there on Saturday. I chickened out on account of the wind. I fished Friday and only caught 9. There was very little current on Friday and the bite was slow for me. Mostly shakers. I think your posts are great.

J
joesnuffy
what type of anchor were you using? I know I had a lot of trouble using a claw anchor in heavy current.

I've since switched to a mushroom.

M
minnowmagnet
I too have had better luck with the mushroom. I have an 8# and a 10#. The 10 is nice because I can usually fight a decent sized fish on anchor and still not get dragged.

M
Moe
Fought a couple 6 fts today just below the falls...

bass
bass
joesnuffy said:
what type of anchor were you using? I know I had a lot of trouble using a claw anchor in heavy current.

I've since switched to a mushroom.

I was using an 8lb mushroom the day I lost the anchor. I have not been out since then, but I have bought a 10lb pyramid and an 8lb mushroom to try next time.

When the current was a less I thought the mushroom was great. On that last day out the current was enough that the mushroom was not catching where it dropped, but rather slipping till it got stuck even with a 4:1 scope. The mushroom really behaved like a claw that day. I hope that the pyramid will better hold where I drop it given the more aggressive shape and the extra 2lbs.

bass
bass
minnowmagnet said:
I too have had better luck with the mushroom. I have an 8# and a 10#. The 10 is nice because I can usually fight a decent sized fish on anchor and still not get dragged.

I hope that the 10lb pyramid will give me a better solution than my 8lb mushroom between the extra two lbs and more aggressive shape. I did also buy an 8lb mushroom for days when the current is less. No point in hauling up the extra weight when it is not needed.

bass
bass
Moe said:
Fought a couple 6 fts today just below the falls...

Great job! I was really hoping to get out yesterday, but family time put a fork in that idea.

M
Moe
I've noticed the shakers and little guys hang out in the fast water, and I find the big ones in the slower areas. I always seem to end up hooking into a fish I can't land, hard to bring in an oversize from the bank haha. Hell of a fight though. Bait thats been producing every trip is smelt with garlic scent. Good luck to anyone heading out, sturgeon retention will not open this year on either of the lower rivers this year or for several more years. The river is ours! (C/r fishers)

M
minnowmagnet
hey John, do you think that pyramid is going to hold better in the fast current? If so, I am interested. Does your pyramid have a flat (or square, if that makes sense) tip? I saw some kayakers using pyramids that had the tip cut off once. I banked it, in the spot I told Moe about, on Sunday. Kayaking would have been fun, if you are trying to get from the falls to Cathedral Park in 20 minutes!! Caught only 5. One oversized which broke off and the rest pip-squeaks. Thanks all for posting. Love the c/r.

bass said:
I hope that the 10lb pyramid will give me a better solution than my 8lb mushroom between the extra two lbs and more aggressive shape. I did also buy an 8lb mushroom for days when the current is less. No point in hauling up the extra weight when it is not needed.

bass
bass
I find a mix. Some days I catch big fish in fast water and small fish in slow water, other days it is the reverse. I think that the big fish take the "best" water, whatever that means on a given day, and the smaller fish takes whats left. If the current is really strong I have found the biggest sturgeon on the edge of eddies, kind of like a steelhead on a seam. On low flow days they are in the fastest (not really all that fast) current they can find. That is my experience but your mileage may vary.

Moe said:
I've noticed the shakers and little guys hang out in the fast water, and I find the big ones in the slower areas. I always seem to end up hooking into a fish I can't land, hard to bring in an oversize from the bank haha. Hell of a fight though. Bait thats been producing every trip is smelt with garlic scent. Good luck to anyone heading out, sturgeon retention will not open this year on either of the lower rivers this year or for several more years. The river is ours! (C/r fishers)

bass
bass
minnowmagnet said:
hey John, do you think that pyramid is going to hold better in the fast current? If so, I am interested. Does your pyramid have a flat (or square, if that makes sense) tip? I saw some kayakers using pyramids that had the tip cut off once. I banked it, in the spot I told Moe about, on Sunday. Kayaking would have been fun, if you are trying to get from the falls to Cathedral Park in 20 minutes!! Caught only 5. One oversized which broke off and the rest pip-squeaks. Thanks all for posting. Love the c/r.

If I had gone out on Sunday I would definitely have been eddy fishing. Cool that you a good day from the bank!

From what I have heard from other folks a pyramid at the same weight holds a lot better than a mushroom. My anchor looks like a big pyramid sinker. Eye is on the big flat side and the edges are kind of sharp. It looks like it will really bite. I think the roundness and smoothness of the mushroom makes it hard to get a good lay down and bite in fast water. I am in LA right now, I can send you a pic when I get back up to OR if you are interested.