Lost Lake off Nehalem hwy

T
texansfan
Taking the boys to Lost Lake for primitive camping and some fishing. Any idea how the warm water fishing is and are trout still hitting?

B
beaverfan
Never heard of anyone catching warm water species out of there. The trout should be going strong though. The only bad thing about camping up there is the fact that you can't have a fire. (and it's heavily enforced in the summer months) Good luck, can't wait to hear a report.

T
texansfan
Hope you're wrong about the fire thing. The tent sites have fire rings but I'm gonna double check before we head out. What would the trout be hitting on mostly, besides PB?

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Gotcha, ya you can have a fire in the campground. I thought you were planning on camping at the lake itself. Your good to go.

T
texansfan
btw, thanks for quick replies. I was hoping to post this a couple of days ago but I think the forums were down. They make it sound as though a dispersed site with a fire ring is acceptable also. What's going to be the better bait to load up on?

B
beaverfan
I've had lots of luck there on nightcrawlers and powereggs. Spinners, spoons and traditional trout lures should produce as well. I heard the other day that a hatchery near there put in some HUGE summer steelhead in there. I caught some this last winter on cured prawns.

T
texansfan
K, thanks for the info. I'll let yall know how it went in a few days, hopefully with some pics. BTW, I fished the mill pond at Vernonia and hooked into a decent LMB that wrapped me up immediately and was gone. Pulled in another 10" earlier that day. I was using a dark red(almost black) rubber salamander in the heavy cover at the SW corner.

Gunga
Gunga
texansfan said:
Taking the boys to Lost Lake for primitive camping and some fishing. Any idea how the warm water fishing is and are trout still hitting?

Hey texasfan me and my uncle were just up there last week i believe. and the trout were going crazy for micro jigs with one crappie nibble on the hook 4 to 6 feet under a small bobber. and if you are into fly fishing they were loving that to. i had the most success on spinner fly size 10. There arnt any warm water fish. but there are crawdads. lots of them. hope this info helps.

Tight lines!

T
texansfan
Hey thanks for the info. I'm headed out tomorrow afternoon(wife) and hope to be wetting a line in the early evening. Is there a baitshop near there by some chance?

Gunga
Gunga
im not sure if their is a bait shop near there. sorry.

F
fishtales
The town of Elsie is close but they may not have what you are looking for. The next stop is further towards the coast at the 53 junction (gas station) or you can make the trip into Seaside. Seaside is going to have the best variety of bait.

T
texansfan
I'll have a good opportunity to stop along the way. We're coming from Rainier and through Vernonia. Trip is postponed a few days due to damaged floor tile in the shower. Thinset went mush in one spot. I will definitely get out there though. Just a short trip to the Vernonia mill pond today.

F
fishtales
Best of luck there. So if you are comming from Rainer and though Vernonia I think you come out on the Coast HWY right near Green Mountain somewhat close to the DQ and a few other stores. Unless you are talking about another way. Is there a place near that junction to get worms?

T
texansfan
So we hit it a few days ago. I didn't get but a nibble or two. My wife, who swears by night crawlers, snatched a 10" trout. The next day we hit the river near the campground and my youngest and my wife had some trout luck. We threw them in some tinfoil with pepper and garlic salt. Turned out well over all but it just wasn't my trip. We'll head back earlier in the year next time. Any ideas for a trip in Columbia county? Just closer to Rainier would be easier for the family trips.

F
funluvncwgiel
Was up there on Saturday. Daught got a nice trout on a worm. She was more impressed with the crawfish. Lots of Bites, and A lot of "flying fish"-- boy can they jump up there. Good Luck, people were telling us Power bait vs worms.. both seemed to work well.

H
hvacr1
imo the bank fishing there is horrible compared to being out in the middle and working the steep banks on the south side of the 1st pond in some floatation device. I bank fished it the first time I went had caught a few but not nearly as many as I expected to how active the fish seemed. I've been out in my pontoon at least a dozen times more and it has been non stop action all day 50 plus everytime. I have still yet to hook into one of those leftover steelies they throw in there but the ones I have seen caught people were floating out near the middle. If you want to go there and have a blast, borrow or invest in some type of floatation device and just throw small spinners or flies or fly and bubble rig. I have tried powerbait out in the middle and it works just as good without the snags that you get on shore there if you fish bottom which I would recommend.

T
texansfan
OK, this is good info. I'll try floatin' the middle next time we head out.