Loop to loop?

A
adambomb
Just got home with my new fly line and leader, and both leader and line have loops on the ends. What is the best way to join the two? What is a good knot for leader to tippet?

E
everett464
Easiest thing ever! Just pass the line loop through the leader loop, and then, pass the working- end of the leader through the line loop. (haha... it sounds awful)

S
skunk
adambomb said:
Just got home with my new fly line and leader, and both leader and line have loops on the ends. What is the best way to join the two? What is a good knot for leader to tippet?

I tie my own leaders and just tie them directly to the fly line most of the time. For leader to tippet if you go that route then a blood knot works well. I tie tapered leaders using blood knots with a drop of zap a gap on to make smooth. The tapered leader I tie ends in a tippet that I can clip as I swith flies and then just tie on a new tippet when it gets too short.

E
everett464
For leader to tippet if you go that route then a blood knot works well.

I like double surgeons for leader to tippet. It's not quite as strong as a blood knot, but I can tie it in 1/8 of the time, when my fingers are numb.

Last edited:
M
metalfisher76
The double surgeons is my knot. Quick, easy and very strong! The blood is a good knot but I can tie the surgeons way faster. That doesn`t matter to all or all kinds of fishing styles but that`s my 2 cents:)

M
metalfisher76
everett464 said:

I like double surgeons for leader to tippet. It's not quite as strong as a blood knot, but I can tie it 1/8 of the time, when my fingers are numb.

I`m a slow typer :lol:

A
adambomb
I figured it was simple, thanks for the help guys!!

S
skunk
Thanks guys, I'm using that knot from now on!!! On the water faster is better, I usually tie my leaders at the fly desk so speed isn't important but on the water if your not fishing your not catching.

T
troutramp
Now days most flylines come with a welded loop or some form of "stinger" for a loop to loop connection. I have set up line/leader connections in several different ways depending on the scenario. I like the loop tp loop for its simplicity and for the speed that you can change leaders. Like I was saying most premium fly lines come with a loop to loop now so its already to go. I have not seen a manufactured sinking line with pre welded loops so this is where a "atinger" comes in. A stinger" is either a pre packaged nylon loop that slips over the end of the fly line and is attatched with a drop of glue and a heat shrink, or in the manufacture they are woven so that forward pressure causes the portion over the line to tighten (think chineese finger cuffs/locks). I have tied many stingers for myself and clients with mono or some form of leader building matierial. I found the most effective way to build one is to use the butt section of a leader that is from the largest size leader you are going to fish on that particular line. 1. take the complete leader and nail knot it to the end of the line as you would normally
2.(a) now you can wait for this part until you need to change the leader or complete it right away
2.(b). clip the leader in the butt section approximately 10 inches down from the nail knot
3. Tie in a "perfection loop" so that the stinger is about 4 inches.
3.(b) The "perfection loop" is the same not used in "pre-looped" leaders.
4. If not changing leaders simply tie a perfection loop in the remainding leader section and slip them together as you would normally.
Do not forget to put a little glue on the nail knot ( iuse the U.V. Knot sence from Loon outdoors) to keep water out of your line.
note: When attatching this style of stinger I have used both mono leaders and flourocarbon I tend to use flouro for the stinger if possible due to its ability to withstand extream heat ( I live in Arizona) the butt section of mono has never failed me however.
I have used many different knots for leader to tippit but usually I use a double surgeons as well, as an Albright. I like an Albright for my big game leaders but the double surgeon has held for me on double digit rainbows.

M
metalfisher76
The double surgeons lands 20lb steel and 30lb chinook every year for me. Just another 2cents for simplicity.

T
troutramp
what size leader/tippit do you use for those beasts? 20-30 lb'er??

M
metalfisher76
I never go bigger than 10 for steel(winters, down to 8or6 for summers) and 12, rarely that big, for springers. I fish small bodies of water, where spookiness is an issue, 90% of the time. Maxima UG 1000% of the time.