Looking for some trout!

M
mike1357
Greetings all. I'm heading to the Alsea river for two weeks vacation, and looking to hook into some cutthroat. Any suggests on what part of the river, and what's been working? I have fly and bait rods...so which ever works, I'll take...or, I'll just take both.
Thanks for the help.

brandon4455
brandon4455
if i m correct in most costal rivers its flies and lures only above tidewater until sept.1st not 100% but i would check first. small spinners in black,brown,pink and various other colors should do. and using size 10,12 and 14 hair wing dry flies should do good too. stimulators,elk hair caddis stuff like that

M
mike1357
Thanks for the suggestions! I will make sure to double check the regs before heading out. Any thoughts on what level the Alsea river is most productive?

Thanks again for the help.

troutdude
troutdude
You'll find bows and cutts throughout the system. In addition, though, I believe that it is also Catch and Release only. But, double check the regs...I may be mistaken.

But, I'd suggest trying for blue backs (sea run cutts) in Tidewater or just above. If you have a boat, I would troll tidewater for them with a Ford Fender and worm or spinner/spoon.

Or, if you can grab some flies before you head out...nab some Borden Specials (Two Rivers Fly shop in Albany, or Back Country Fly shop in Corvallis has them). They were designed specifically for Alsea River blue backs.

There should be some Nooks in Tidewater now too. Bobber and Bait is the way to go...or trolling with bait/spinners.

M
mike1357
Thanks again for the advise. Unfortunately I don't have my boat ready, so I'll be on the shore. Do you have any advise or experience on good places to fish from the shore? Thanks again for the info...extremely helpful!

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry for the delay; have been out camping.

I'd look for roadside pull outs--along Hwy. 34--between Tidewater and the Blackberry Campground.

And remember that it's ONLY open now, for artificial flies and lures until Aug. 31st.