Looking for a lake or stream to hike up to.

Fattie
Fattie
Hello again! Just like the subject says, I'm looking for a lake or stream to hike up to. I want to primitive camp overnight, and cook what i catch. I am willing to drive a couple hours, and live near Eugene. I'm not very active.. so I'm looking for a reasonable distance, no more than a couple miles.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Ps
Bear country is fine, I'll have a sidearm and bear spray

Fattie
Fattie
  • Haha
Reactions: troutdude
Fattie
Fattie
Fwiw, I'm not particularly interested in hatchery fish for this venture. I'm really hoping to enjoy some amazing wild bounty.

Echskech
Echskech
Salmon Cr. Out of Oakridge would be a good spot. High fish per mile, good roadside access and wadeability, and decent camping off logging roads #024 and up.

Reactions: Peaceful, Troutski, Fattie and 1 other person
B
BrandonBeach
Echskech said:
Salmon Cr. Out of Oakridge would be a good spot. High fish per mile, good roadside access and wadeability, and decent camping off logging roads #024 and up.
If open, I would second this.

Reactions: Fattie
troutdude
troutdude
From the 2020 reg book, page 47:

Salmon Creek and Tributaries (Middle Fork Willamette River)
Open all year.
• 2 wild trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
• 5 hatchery trout per day, no minimum length.
• Use of bait allowed Apr 22 - Oct 31.

Reactions: LadyoftheLake, Peaceful and Fattie
Fattie
Fattie
That sounds awesome! I'll check it out, thanks!

Fattie
Fattie
I'm also thinking about a couple days up Duffy and Santiam lakes...

N
newfydog
Fattie said:
Bear country is fine, I'll have a sidearm and bear spray
So, if you don't carry that stuff, maybe you can hike a bit farther..... "human-bear incidents are rare in the state, according to officials. There have only been four previously reported incidents in the state since 1988, none of them fatal, ODFW said"

Fattie
Fattie
newfydog said:
So, if you don't carry that stuff, maybe you can hike a bit farther..... "human-bear incidents are rare in the state, according to officials. There have only been four previously reported incidents in the state since 1988, none of them fatal, ODFW said"
I respect your perspective, but personally I'd rather have protection and not need it than need protection and not have it. Besides, bear spray and firearms serve as deterrents and protection against cougars and meth heads (the latter being substantially more likely) as well.

Echskech
Echskech
Fattie said:
That sounds awesome! I'll check it out, thanks!
Let us know how it goes and how the meal turns out after you go OFF on your trip.

Reactions: troutdude and Fattie
Fattie
Fattie
Probably going to have to wait till next year. The wife is understandably worried about me on a solo trip. Still crossing my fingers a friend agrees in time though...

Fattie
Fattie
That'll give me some time to get used to hiking, at least

Troutski
Troutski
Echskech said:
I agree, this is a place you can camp, fish and eat what you catch. Absolutely a great place...

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
Echskech said:
Let us know how it goes and how the meal turns out after you go OFF on your trip.
Bonus points for your use of OFF in your reply! ;-)