Looking for a good spot to fish coho's

F
FrozenForever Photography
I have never tried fishing the alsea. Does anyone know any good spots? I will be coming from albany.

Thanks,
G

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I've only fished right at the hatchery. I didn't get anything but saw some amazing fish banked.

M
Mike123
Why do you want to target a species that is closed for retention?
You can keep the chinook outta there! ;)
Oh and dont(get caught) fishing above Five Rivers, it's closed again this year. :( Sucks cause some of my favorite spinner water is right above Five Rivers.

M
michigan_transplant
Drive til you see the sign for 5 rivers. pull off any of those holes and get busy. good bobber water with narrow chutes the fish have to go through, that is if they get by me :). ill be out there tomorrow from about 9-1.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep, what Mike & Michigan T both said.

The Alsea is ONLY open right now for 'Nooks, trout and bluebacks (sea run cutts). However, Sunday is the last day for any trout / blueback fishing.

And any of the pockets below 5 Rivers hold fish.

It's also a good idea to clearly know the difference between 'Ho's and 'Nooks, before you head out. There is an I.D. chart on the ODFW site.

Good luck.

T
Teo
Mike123 said:
Oh and dont(get caught) fishing above Five Rivers, it's closed again this year. :( Sucks cause some of my favorite spinner water is right above Five Rivers.

Ya know, I think that changed this year. Says the deadline is Fall Cr. in the copy of regs I have, which adds quite a bit of river to fish.

M
michigan_transplant
Teo said:
Ya know, I think that changed this year. Says the deadline is Fall Cr. in the copy of regs I have, which adds quite a bit of river to fish.

WOW just checked and youre right. Might have to try some spots tomorrow.

M
michigan_transplant
D'oh

M
Mike123
I always see lots of people fishing above five Rivers... I guess if you don't have internet you could get a ticket pretty easy.

T
Teo
Mike123 said:
I always see lots of people fishing above five Rivers... I guess if you don't have internet you could get a ticket pretty easy.

Yeah, This is kind of curious. It's sort of like an internet connection is a requirement to go fishing. I don't really have a beef with ODFW. It's understandable that they would want to be able to change the catch limits later in the season, but can't they sort out the deadline?

And thanks for the tip Beaverfan!

F
FrozenForever Photography
Thanks everyone. I didn't know it was C&R for coho's. So nook's and steelhead are good to keep?