Long distance baitcasting

S
SantiamDrifter
Its funny! Bank anglers always try to get their gear out as far as possible, and boaters try and run as close to the bank as possible.

Like i said, a lot of bankies will run their gear out with a boat and just drop it where they want. It saves them lots of thumb skin.

D
Denduran87
honestly just wet the line. I always while practicing take a bottle of water to pour on the line between casts.

D
DirectDrive
That's a nice rig you have there.

If you were to Google distance casting or tournament casting all of the top sites (surf fishing and casting) will appear.
The Eastcoasters and the Brits are very big on this aspect of fishing.

K
kaimuki49
Airs98 said:
Thanks guys!!! Those are good leads!

BTW, I don't really have backlash problems, good quality reel takes care of that. I just want to save my "assets" :)
there is no way to cast a conventional reel and seek max distance unless you have the spool very free spinning. the fisherman must develop a feel for the whole thing - early casting reels didn't even have a spool adjustment. you learned to "thumb it" the right time and right pressure. stores used to sell a small piece of leather that could clip on a cross bar of the reel and the person could use this as protection tween his thumb and line.

G
GDBrown
With that much weight on the line I would think the impack would scare any fish in the vacinity away unless you are throwing into deep or fast water. I would start with lighter weights and work you way up. i.e. Get really good at short distances and then work your way out.

Just a thought,
GD

C
cchinook
casting

casting

back East they cast level winds that have no rewinder on them - a lot less friction -
and they retrieve with an " educated thumb " I read about casting contests in which they were throwing 4 oz. over 175 yds using 16' rods - crazy !

A
Airs98
How far can they throw a railroad spike? :)

K
kaimuki49
yes thats true - i have not seen a "level wind" reel in ages. do they still make them? i used to have one i loved, a penn "levelwind". thnaks, tbkk

K
kaimuki49
anyone will have "backlash" probelms unless or until they learn (through a lot of practice) how to get the feel of their pole and reel and line. we fished at night mostly in the south pacific, couldnt even see the wt and bait flying through the air. have to learn it all by feel and sound. lots of burned skin and blisters later u begin to get it. and wetting the line DOES help, that is true.

J
jryeo
Why not just switch to a spinning reel?

For me, spinning reels are a lot easier to make long accurate casts than baitcasters.