Loch leven

S
steelhead_slayer
I caught this beautiful brown trout this morning. After looking back at the pictures I realized this fish has the characteristics of a loch leven trout . From what I have read when brown trout were introduced to America there were two strands; the kind from Germany, referred to a loch leven(the name of their home water), and the Scotish strand. Through the generation the two strands have interbreed making them hard to tell apart, but every once in a while I run into one like this particular fish that shows the loch leven traits; covered in black spots(and a lack of the red spots), longer snout, and more slender build.

This info. is just stuff I have read on the internet. If anyone else has more knowledge on the subject, or different views feel free to write it.

• photo0056.jpg
  • Photo0057.jpg
jamisonace
jamisonace
I know nothing about the different strands but that is a real beauty. I wish I was still working in Bend regularly. Haven't been up there for work for a long time.

S
steelhead_slayer
He was super aggressive too. Love catching those beauties between chances to chase steel

F
FlyBum
I really like that "Bluish" hue on that fish! Great find!

S
steelhead_slayer
yeah I like the blue, and the shoulders on him

T
troutmasta
Ya that fish has some shoulders, what a stud!

R
rippin fish lips
Nice Fish!

S
steelhead_slayer
Thanks

O
OnTheDrop
Nice Wes... Im forever haunted by that place after I lost that 25"+ brownski... Keep getting in to them. One of these times your gunna hit that 10+lber I saw jump. Man that was a sight to see.

S
steelhead_slayer
And here is an example of the other strand. . . but my phone sucks for pictures so you can't really see the red spots

Photo0079.jpgphoto0078.jpg

R
Roolinghills
Great looking fish! Haven't seen one like that before. Thanks for sharing!

S
steelhead_slayer
I haven't got to post much lately so I decided to post one from today

20130306_174722.jpg