Line mending problem

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
mikeee2362 said:
Check the Pawn shops from time to time. I've found a few worthy setups in the past there, cheap.

Most of my gear is second hand, on sale or clearance.

H
HRxPaperStacks
I'll check that out. Thank you.

C
ChezJfrey
mikeee2362 said:
Dunno...only tried the plain, does it come in anise/krill? I'd definitly try it.

Just imagine Suzie Chapstick's expression when she licks her lips with anise/krill flavor...yummy! LOL

M
mikeee2362
ChezJfrey said:
Just imagine Suzie Chapstick's expression when she licks her lips with anise/krill flavor...yummy! LOL

pm sent...lol

W
WATERKL39
Don't forget that drift speed (current) also affects your ability to mend your line. I find that it is much easier to mend when the water flow is very slow or at a walking pace. I use a lamiglass 10' 6" spinning rod with 30lb tuff-line xp (yellow braid) and love how easily it mends.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Thank you all for the advice! I just picked up my new Abu Garcia 6400 and lined it with 30# power pro braid and a good leader of 12# trilene. I'm hitting the sandy tomorrow and I'll let y'all know how I do!

M
mikeee2362
Knock em dead!!

Casting Call
Casting Call
troutmasta said:
Bingo!!
+ a long rod makes mending line easier
also what aervax said. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
Aervax said:
I can speak about what works for me. Others please chime in too, I know what works for one angler may be approached totally differently by another. Gotta find what works best for your style on your waters. A lot of variables can contribute to line drag when your mending a line bobber fishing. Though nylon can be pretty good in the beginning it absorbs water and becomes heavier the longer it is in the river. Ever notice how nylon floats when you start out and sinks more as the day goes on. For me the sink causes drag that I can't overcome when mending the drift, and that pulls my bobber down or to the side when I mend. Line floatant will help some. You can get that at the fly fishing shop. Another solution would be to switch to a line that floats higher in the water than nylon mono. I use a floating line ending in a 10 lb fluorocarbon leader. My bobber still twitches some when I mend, but a lot less than when I used mono.
Try a 10ft. rod Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
JeannaJigs said:
Ditch the mono if you're float fishing. Use a braided line, I am a fan of power-pro, it floats. There's a dozen different brands out there, but I keep going back to the power pro. Just attach your mono leader with a barrel swivel and you're golden. It is a night and day difference if you're float fishing. Due to braid being a thinner diameter than mono, I would recommend 20 or 30#. It will float on the surface better and you will be happier with the mendability. Just my 2 cents.
X 2 and my 2 cents Tony

H
HRxPaperStacks
Grabbed power pro and hit the sandy. No fish but my line mending was awesome

J
JeannaJigs
Good choice ;)

Chromatose
Chromatose
Float fishing, the line should not be in the water at all from the Rod to the Float. This way a Fisherman/Woman can see just what is happening to their Float. If a longer Rod was used this problem wouldnt happen, unless your allowing to long of a Drift. But then I use 11` 6" to 15` Rods with a Centrepin for my Float fishing needs to avoid line in the water Drifts. I also use good old cheap Ande line.

Last edited:
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
HRxPaperStacks said:
Grabbed power pro and hit the sandy. No fish but my line mending was awesome

Glad you're on the mend!:) I drifted Oxbow yesterday with my youngest, no fish by us or anyone else I talked with.

W
WATERKL39
How was the water level on the Sandy this weekend? I was up at Dodge Friday morning and it was pretty high. Hope to see the level be down some tommorow.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Hooked Up said:
Glad you're on the mend!:) I drifted Oxbow yesterday with my youngest, no fish by us or anyone else I talked with.

You probably saw me then lol. I started at the boat launch and worked my way up river.

H
HRxPaperStacks
WATERKL39 said:
How was the water level on the Sandy this weekend? I was up at Dodge Friday morning and it was pretty high. Hope to see the level be down some tommorow.

It seemed ok! No fish tho. It sucks driving 1.5 hours to see nothing haha. I really want to try to the north santiam.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Power Pro floats ok but is way to limp for me. I also had a lot of issues with wind knots. I like something with a little more body to it. I have used spiderwire invisibraid and nanofil with great results. Although for Chinook the nanofil is probably not heavy enough so I would go with spiderwire. Good luck.

O
OnTheDrop
Power Pro or Tufline for Chinook and Nanofil or Crystal Fireline for Steelhead.

H
hawgcaller
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Power Pro or Tufline for Chinook and Nanofil or Crystal Fireline for Steelhead.

All about the nanofil, they make it up to 17lb which is pretty decent, may want some power pro for nooks. I have a 10'6 loomis float rod I would let go for a deal, pm me if interested.