Like a rash I'm coming back! Smallmouth in late September?

elmucho
Title says it all - I'll be back in Waldport from Sept. 17th - 23rd and all I can think about is getting back on the Umpqua and fishing smallies again. So my big question is this: Is smallmouth fishing/catching over by then? Is the water too cold? Too low? Too green? I'd most like hit the Big K ranch again - any advice on hitting that particular spot at that time of the year?
Thanks in advance and if anybody of you guys find yourselved in San Diego drop me a message - happy to offer fishing info and if it works out we could hit local spots in my boat for calico, halibut etc.
 
Oregunner
I looked through my picture file, and I was catching small mouth in the river all through last September. Summer isn’t over until late September. I had an epic day fishing the main Umpqua at Scottsberg for smallmouth, in late September.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elmucho
elmucho
Oregunner said:
I looked through my picture file, and I was catching small mouth in the river all through last September. Summer isn’t over until late September. I had an epic day fishing the main Umpqua at Scottsberg for smallmouth, in late September.
YES! That's great news - looking like I'll do a day of fishing on the Umpqua!
 
NKlamerus
They will definitely be around! I checked as well, it might have been September of 21 when I fished river forks for the first time.

I haven't lived here long enough to know, but it seems like you really need to play it by ear for river conditions

My short 2-3 year records show very little for patterns, I've also been here for crazy drought and heavy rains? No such thing has average anymore

With that being said Big K, as long as the water is clear, is a solid bet. Any idea which ramp your heading to?
 
elmucho
NKlamerus said:
They will definitely be around! I checked as well, it might have been September of 21 when I fished river forks for the first time.

I haven't lived here long enough to know, but it seems like you really need to play it by ear for river conditions

My short 2-3 year records show very little for patterns, I've also been here for crazy drought and heavy rains? No such thing has average anymore

With that being said Big K, as long as the water is clear, is a solid bet. Any idea which ramp your heading to?
Love it. I've only fished the Power Lines section and the Rapp Bar - not sure where I'll fish but there's a section of the Rapp Bar up near the top that I've fished twice before that was super fun on topwater fly - and it's such a nice place to spend the day, eat lunch etc.... I'm leaning that way. I'll go mid-week and I'll let you know when I decide to head up there from Waldport.
 
flylooper
Oregunner said:
I looked through my picture file, and I was catching small mouth in the river all through last September. Summer isn’t over until late September. I had an epic day fishing the main Umpqua at Scottsberg for smallmouth, in late September.
I usually go for smallies in August and fish a few miles above Elkton, mostly at the Big K. Water is usually low, tepid, and sluggish. We are never disappointed. Lots of fish caught on one or another sinking bug.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elmucho
elmucho
flylooper said:
I usually go for smallies in August and fish a few miles above Elkton, mostly at the Big K. Water is usually low, tepid, and sluggish. We are never disappointed. Lots of fish caught on one or another sinking bug.
Sweet - yeah I'll be there in late September and I'm going directly to Big K. Love fishing that place. Can't wait to throw some wigglies and poppers at 'em with my 7wt!
 
BrianG
Never mind I answered my own question and I could not figure out how to delete the post.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom