Launching a kayak or pontoon at Hagg lake

bass
bass
Hey all,

I was wondering if there were any spots other than the boat ramps for launching a kayak or pontoon. I would prefer not to be in anyone's way who is trying to trailer their vehicle.

First, at ramps A&C is there decent access for me to roll my kayak on its cart to the lake not using the ramp? Do folks just squeeze down the side of the ramp? (If this is bad form I hope someone will point that out). Are there better non-ramp spots where I could roll my kayak to the water?

I am not asking for anyone's secret spot, just trying to figure out a safe way to get on the water.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

C
catfishman89
Dont worry about using the ramp. Just use the non dockside on A and use it like anyother boat on C. You have to pay extra to use a boat so you get equal rights on the ramp. I launch my boat at A and always see non power boats using the ramp and they never bother me.

N
noladude
I've never had an issue launching a canoe at ramp C. I do try to wait, though, for things to settle down a bit if it is busy. I've never really timed it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes my son and I a couple extra minutes to get into the water and then for me to get the vehicle out of the way. It isn't like a boat where you can do all the prep before you back down, then simply slide it off. I try to do it as quickly a we can, while making sure we are doing it safely. Once in, I back it further out along the dock so that there is room for someone else to come in/out if they'd like. I've tried a time or two to launch on the non-ramp side of the dock, but don't like it because of the rocks and mud.

C
catfishman89
I have more problems with recreational boaters than anyone else.

troutdude
troutdude
A few weeks ago, I was banking it, near Ramp A. I saw some Kayakers put in right next to the motor rigs. It took them longer, but I saw no problems or obvious conflicts.

Reactions: wozniasm
bass
bass
Thanks for all the responses! Looks like launching from one of the ramps may be the best choice for Hagg. So far with my kayak I have been lucky in finding non-powerboat launch points. Makes it more relaxing to put in and take out.

L
Lamzy
i launch mu toon boat at ramp C. I have used the ramp and the swamp grass area just left pf the ramp.
If you try the dirt areas the bottom is soft clay and you will get sucked in and be stuck.
KiltedBob

T
TimberTodd
I launch my Nucanoe to the side of either ramp A or C with no problems. The only time I use the actual ramp is if I am the only one there which isn't often.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
You have every right the use the ramp. It is a public utility, purpose-build for launching water craft.
So long as you prepare your boat before using the ramp, and launch/park in a timely manner you should not expect conflict. If you do, it's their $hitty attitude, not yours.

Walk at a brisk pace and you will present the image that you have other users in mind, and are trying to clear the ramp for the people next in line.

I launch an oar powered 10' pontoon at the Yaquina Bay Marina and have yet to encounter a problem. Though I assume most people think I'm crazy, so there's that. :D

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Hi bass, I don't fish Hagg, but it doesn't matter. I have a powerboat and have never been bothered by non-powerboat users launching at any ramps. Lakes, rivers, and the bays! The boat ramps are there for all of us, so you should feel free to use the facilities like anyone else.

Just try to have as much prepped as possible on your ride before you put in. That goes for any user. Usually the older mom and pop-owned powerboats are the slowest to vacate the ramp, so you're all good as long as you don't screw up too much. Also, if you can offer assistance to someone who needs it, kudos!

Good luck,

W
wozniasm
I usually launch my toon at ramp C with no issues. I pay the extra dollar to launch so I have equal rights.
I usually park on the side near the ramp opposite the building, build my toon up at the truck (gear, anchor, etc) and use my toon mover to walk it down and launch to the far left leaving tons of room. Once launched, tie OFF and return the mover to the truck.

B
bernduffy
The ramps on any popular body of water can be intimidating on a busy day. Hagg has plenty of access places for inflatables and kayaks near the parking lots. As you have probably already figured out, launching down the sloped bank is easy. I once actually rode my pontoon down a 50 foot wet grassy hill once, like a taboggan in the snow. It's getting the dang craft and gear back up that same incline that's the challenge...which means using the ramp. Here's my strategy. As I approach the ramp, I have all the gear put away, including rods broken down. I pull in beside the ramp. Carry one load to the truck. Back truck down the ramp. Load gear into truck cab (about 5 X 15 foot long trips for me.) Leave gear bags and other light items such as food & clothing on pontoon, lift it onto truck bed, temporarily bungee it in place, then quickly exit ramp. Then up in lot, finish up. I think I average 8 minutes on ramp. Haven't heard a grumble in 3 years. I think if you keep moving and show good effort, no one really minds. It's the folks who dawdle, chat, go to the loo, play with the dog/kids/girlfriend who get the dirty looks. My pet peeve is the guy who leaves a friend literally holding the bag, I mean boat, on the dock while he gabs away up in the parking lot about that biggun that got away. Just don't be selfish and all is good.
Hey, by the way, anyone over 55, the senior discount pass at Hagg is $35. Visit 6 times and you've saved money. (Well, only a buck...) I think I went 15 times last year which reduced my fee to $2.33 a pop.

W
wozniasm
bernduffy said:
Hey, by the way, anyone over 55, the senior discount pass at Hagg is $35. Visit 6 times and you've saved money. (Well, only a buck...) I think I went 15 times last year which reduced my fee to $2.33 a pop.

I didn't know that! I'm going to take advantage of that!
Do you get it at the gate?

B
bernduffy
wozniasm said:
I didn't know that! I'm going to take advantage of that!
Do you get it at the gate?

I believe so. i got mine at the Lake Stop.

Hey, with this innocuous little post I just became an "experienced" member.... Is it kind of a Jimi Hendrix thing?

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
bernduffy said:
I believe so. i got mine at the Lake Stop.

Hey, with this innocuous little post I just became an "experienced" member.... Is it kind of a Jimi Hendrix thing?

Are you seeing colorful bursts/swirls and hearing "angels"? If not, no.

bass
bass
Thanks guys, I did not make it out to Hagg this weekend. I decided to try the springers (and then sturgeon) on the Willamette (posted in the Willamette and Sturgeon groups). I will probably hit Hagg in a few weeks and be well set with all the great advice!