Lakes just west of Suttle Lake

troutdude
troutdude
There are a handful of small lakes a little east of HooDoo, and west of Suttle & Blue Lakes. They are inside of the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness. Some of the names are Island, Meadow, Hand, Link, Casche, etc.

Does anyone have any experience fishing these small cascade lakes? If so, any information you can share would be appreciated (i.e. species available, catch methods, etc).

Thanks!

P.S. I once fell into nearby Blue Lake. And believe me...it is called BLUE lake for a reason!!! :shock::shock::shock:

M
Markcanby
I will have to make a trip to Long I realy want to try brookies. What time of year would you say is best?

B
bigfootfish
from spring 'till the snow flies.

Bff

troutdude
troutdude
bigfootfish said:
Blue Lake is a spring-fed lake, and it is cold. Blue Lake Resort sold out to some outfit called the Caldera and now it's all private property.

The current Suttle Lake record Brown is 19 pounds 7 ounces. It's mounted inside the Lodge at the Suttle Lake Resort, on the second floor just outside the elevator. Here's a pic I took of it last week:

It's too bad that the Caldera group bought that property. It used to owned by my friends, and we fished there a lot back in the day.

I would certainly settle for a 19 pound brown!!!

C
cookshot
Bigfoot, how do you get to long lake, I was looking at it on the map and there are no roads, which is perfect for me, but is there trails, or do you just head north from 126?

A
AV8R
Go on Google Maps and zoom in on highway 20 just as it starts its turn West toward Suttle Lake. There is a road off to the right called Jack Lake Rd. Now follow it up and it will meet Rd. 1210. Left toward Long lake. You can pick the way from there.
I am going to try that route at the end of the week and will let you know.

C
cookshot
Is that lake a warms springs confederation lake? Or is that the long lake in the Olallie lake basin further north that is warm springs?

A
AV8R
No,not in the warm springs area.
There is another Long lake that has some fantastic fishing but a long hike in. The lake sits North of Waldo lake an is accessed from Oakridge. It is a 5 mile walk into the lake, down hill so the hike out is a killer. It takes about 1 gallon of water per person on a hot day. The lake is on the Winchester trail. A little hard to find but worth it. There is also a lake in that system called Moolog and has some killer browns in it.

C
cookshot
Thats funny that there is 3 long lakes within 50 miles of one another. I'll have to to try that moolog, I found it on google. I'm going to try wasco lake tomorrow, ever been there?

M
Markcanby
HEY guys I just got back from that area an Jack Ln is closed not sure why but closed no the less. It might be temporary but I would have a backup plan.

A
AV8R
Looks like maybe you could get in from Camp Sherman direction. That is unless theyhave other Rds closed going West. Where there's a will there's a way.

C
cookshot
AV8R said:
Looks like maybe you could get in from Camp Sherman direction. That is unless theyhave other Rds closed going West. Where there's a will there's a way.

I stopped at the sisters ranger station today to ask about that and they gave me a map that you can get around jack creek rd. And yeah you basically take hwy 14 up to sherman area and then back over. Didn't end up fishing cause of the lightning and thunder, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow with a report.

B
bigfootfish
Jack Lake/Long Lake

Jack Lake/Long Lake

Okay, I just got back from spending 8 nights on the Metolius near Camp Sherman. Jack Lake Road, also known as Forest Road 12, is having a new migratory fish-friendly culvert installed where Lake Creek crosses underneath Road 12. You can sill get to the rest of Road 12 by going to Camp Sherman, taking the left fork on Road 14 which then becomes 1419. When you come to an intersection where Roads 1419, 1420 and 1216 meet, hang a right onto 1216 and go a little over two miles back to Road 12(Jack Lake Road). You will come back out on 12 right on the other side of the construction crew.
As for LONG LAKE: the easiest way to get to Long Lake is to park at the top of Santiam Pass, on the North side of Hwy. 20 at the Pacific Crest Trail parking lot. The trail to Long Lake branches of the PCT. You go over a ridge in short order and as you start to descend you will see Long Lake below. But first go to the Detroit Ranger Station or the Sisters Ranger Station and buy a Mt. Jefferson Wilderness Map for 5 or 6 bucks. That will show you the exact trails to take to get to Long Lake.

BFF

Last edited: