Klamath area guys ?

B
barthmonster
Hello I'm new on here.
About 25 years ago, a guy took me fishing when I lived in K-falls to a place where we ran his boat through what looked like man-made waterways in the tall-trees. It had to be within maybe an hour of Klamath Falls, probably not more than ninety minutes. I remember launching into one of these straight channels in the trees and then we found a small stream (but big enough for the small boat) that wound through open farmland because cows were on the bank. The trout we saw (but couldn't catch because I had not yet discovered fly-fishing!) were huge !!
Anyone recognize the body of water ??

Agency Lake or some channels off it ??

M
macken
Sounds like it could be the Wood river. Cows, big fish, small water and about the right distance.

B
barthmonster
Thanks, I don't have a boat but yeah it had some big fish in there...

K
kfallscody
Yeah I was thinking the wood river or maybe the lower williamson. They both go through some land with livestock. Was the water crystal clear? If so it was certainly one of those two rivers.

B
barthmonster
If memory serves, the boat ramp was on the wider part that was straight and I don't know if that was 'crystal clear' or not. I think we were in a canoe or small rowboat, can't remember back that far. When we entered the windy water with cows it was shallower and VERY 'crystal clear' with big fish running from our lures. Would love to toss a dry fly in there some day.

I'm thinking it was the boat ramp looking thing just off northeast end of Agency lake which looks like it joins Wood River also. That's definitely the area.

You guys are the 'man', to pick an area out from a faily spotty description at best. haha. Maybe I'll fish that area someday...

M
Mad dog
Deffinetely sounds like the lower wood river! That description fits the petric park boat launch to a T!!! It's going to look a little different if you go back, a couple of years back the wood river was restored to it's original river channel. The big fish are still there, and still can be as difficult as ever! The best thing is the entire wood river is catch and release!

If you want to cast dries, wait until late aug. or early sept. and fish hoppers! That is what I would do!

A nice rainbow from the lower wood.
misc025.jpg

K
kfallscody
barthmonster said:
You guys are the 'man', to pick an area out from a faily spotty description at best. haha. Maybe I'll fish that area someday...

Well it isn't too hard around here. There are only a few rivers that hold trout in clear enough water you can see them. :)

I have fished the wood river but it has always been farther up. Can't say I've had much luck, just a few smaller trout. Sounds like I might have to get some line wet down closer to Agency lake.. hmm :)

B
barthmonster
That fish is a hawg !! I mean catching one of those isn't giving anything up to steelhead fishing, is it !
Those fish in that area are hard to catch, eh ??

B
barthmonster
Okay so I'm more of a beginner, where in the K-falls area can I drown a nymph or two for some easy brookies or cutties ?? Anyone ?? I mean, where would you take your kid fly-fishing ??

M
Mad dog
barthmonster said:
Okay so I'm more of a beginner, where in the K-falls area can I drown a nymph or two for some easy brookies or cutties ?? Anyone ?? I mean, where would you take your kid fly-fishing ??

Spring creek....the odfw stocks it every week with trout. I would fish a beadhead prince nymph under an indicator under a floating line....easy as pie!

They usually stock it every friday!

K
kfallscody
They do stock spring creek but the trout stay in the creek for maybe a day then they move off into the Williamson river. I know several people who live just upstream from where they stock and they never see any trout after a day MAYBE two of being stocked. They all head down to the williamson river,which is maybe a 1/2 mile downstream.. at MOST and go fish there.

So I would stick with the williamson river, it is as favorite of fly fishermen around here. Heck, if I can catch trout everytime I go to the williamson with spinning gear, it should be cake with a fly rig right? :)

Last edited: