Joe's Flies

M

Masin

I'm just curious if anyone has tried using any Joe's Flies out at Hagg. It's a spinner-fly combo. I have a number of them and usually have very good luck. They catch everything from trout to bluegill to bass.

brandon4455

brandon4455

i use to have a few of those and they worked very well on lakes and reservoirs. not as muc rivers for some reason though. they should work fine.

bass

bass

Most Featured
I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA just a short distance from where they are made and I love Joe's flies. I have had success at Hagg with them (although I rarely fish Hagg lake). If I am fishing from shore and the fish are near the top of the water column my favorite technique is a heavy wooden bobber with a Joe's fly down about 4 feet (and sometimes a split shot). I have used this rig over 30 years. In streams I forgo the bobber and just fish the lure either with or without a split shot depending upon the water depth. (Obviously you can not cast far without any weight, but they are deadly in small streams fished weightlessly).

I like a variety of colors including black, greenish brown and yellow. I also tend to fish the silver blades instead of the gold blades.

I forgot to mention one other technique we used to use in lake fishing with these. (Although I have not used this in Oregon for some reason). We would take the hooks off of a spoon (like a red and white daredevil) and then use the spoon like a flasher. We would typically have about 3 feet of leader from the spoon to the spinner. Also wanted to mention that I have only ever used to classic weightless spinner. I am not familiar with any of the newer ones.

Good luck!

Last edited:
M

Masin

Thanks for the info bass. I'm very interested in trying your bobber technique.

bass

bass

Most Featured
I hope you have good luck with it! The bobber technique is really good when the trout are swirling around the surface. I use an old heavy wooden bobber that I can throw a mile. To improve the feel I often use attach the bobber off of a tiny dropper so that I have better contact with the spinner. While I usually use a Joe's fly for trout I sometimes switch to a black ant or a 1/100th oz jig with either a 1" twisty tail or tied up with marabou.

Top Bottom