Jig fishing

M
Mike123
Ya I eventually want to get a float rod tied up here soon.. depends on how much I have left over from my school loans.(With all my doctor visits and medications lately looks like Ima be broke.)

I don't really like a noodle rod though. A 4-10lb 10'-10'6 would be perfect!(whatever that is in rod wt...?)

B
BobberDown
Mike123 said:
Ya I eventually want to get a float rod tied up here soon.. depends on how much I have left over from my school loans.(With all my doctor visits and medications lately looks like Ima be broke.)

I don't really like a noodle rod though. A 4-10lb 10'-10'6 would be perfect!(whatever that is in rod wt...?)

i think a 6 to 10 would be like an 8 wt in a 10' or 10'6" that is what i am looking at i dont like a noodle rod eather a little back bone is a good thing i think

S
steelhead_stalkers
BobberDown said:
mike 123 i have a good freind that owns a rod building company he only does custom work and does an awsome job he can take clay molds of your grip and for arm and mold the cork to fit your grip and arm with a 2 piace butt and titanum eyes it helps make a liter and funer to fish rod

Your hands never really touch the cork they are always on the reel seat but the forearm mold idea is cool. If you have a spinning rod built on a fly blank you will lose all manufacturers warranty's on the blank just so you know.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
Mike123 said:

i would say "about" a 7 wt . i got a 7wt fly rod , and this float rod "seems" to have a bit more butt . but i believe rick said the blank was a 7/8wt . i have it strung up with 12# mono/14# braid on a spare spool . damm thing handles winter steel and coho like a wet dream . had it tied for $180 (which i dont think is bad at all for a custom rod) cause he got a deal on the blanks .

Last edited:
B
BobberDown
steelhead_stalkers said:
Your hands never really touch the cork they are always on the reel seat but the forearm mold idea is cool. If you have a spinning rod built on a fly blank you will lose all manufacturers warranty's on the blank just so you know.

well you are rite on the reel seat in most cases. he is useing a cork reel seat on the spining rods and he molds them to the palm of your hand and where ever your fingers rap around on the cork. and than he mold the little peace of cork on the but so it sits flat on your for arm. it makes it sit flat and helps stop it from sliping of your for arm. pluse we sorten up the butt sectoin to get more lenth out on the tip end. They come out very nice. On the casting rod there is a lot less cork to work with. It is mainly only your palm that sites on the cork. so there is not a ton of carving there but it is amazing how much the little things can change the feel of your rod. I think sage still offers a worranty on there rods no matter what. But hey those blanks are 300 to 500 dollers they get there money up front. so they a little price for most of use but lamaglass has replaced 2 of my fly blanks that where made into spinning rods but that was awhile ago so some times things change i know they added a 40 doller charge for a neglegent brake meaning you do somthing that cause a rod to brake and most of the time it is are falt. i mean you drop or throught your rods around on the rocks a little nick in them than the next fish or rock you hook blam your rod snapps that is the case most times. but hay loomis is 50 no matter what so i gess most rod companys are changeing there worenty a little. what kind of blanks do you guys run on the steelhead stockers rods???? and do you use titanum guides? those rods do look very nice

B
BobberDown
FISHHEADMAFIA said:
i would say "about" a 7 wt . i got a 7wt fly rod , and this float rod "seems" to have a bit more butt . but i believe rick said the blank was a 7/8wt . i have it strung up with 12# mono/14# braid on a spare spool . damm thing handles winter steel and coho like a wet dream . had it tied for $180 (which i dont think is bad at all for a custom rod) cause he got a deal on the blanks .

no that is a slamin price to have a rod tied

S
steelhead_stalkers
That makes sense on the cork handle. Sounds cool! We use rainshadow xst blanks and recoil guides (the ones that bend).

B
BobberDown
steelhead_stalkers said:
That makes sense on the cork handle. Sounds cool! We use rainshadow xst blanks and recoil guides (the ones that bend).
nice i have herd some grate things about rainshadow blank's. what are those recoil guides made out of ?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Some kind of metal that is heated to an extreme temperature so much that the metal is able to bend and go back to its shape. I have had two rods saved because of those guides. One trip the rower was sitting on my blank and three guides were completely smashed! Once he took out the rod from the rowers seat the guides went back to their normal position. They are not cheap, around $80 just for the guides on a steelhead rod!! ;)

Badfish
Badfish
Jigs

Jigs

It is worth watching the float fishing dvd from Nick Amato, you can order it through STS or buy it at Bi-Mart. In the video they talk about "cocking" the jig. I believe they use an improved trilene knot which has two loops through the jig eye. Once it's tight, you can pull the line toward the bend of the hook at a 90 degree angle. This way the jig shank is horizontal with the river bed as it works its way down the river.

I've caught fish this way, but I don't know if it's critical. ????

H
here2fish
any of you guys checked out north fork composite blanks?(Gary Loomis's new new company)

S
steelhead_stalkers
Sweet looking but expensive! His newer prototypes I have read about will be very very cool!

H
here2fish
steelhead_stalkers said:
Sweet looking but expensive! His newer prototypes I have read about will be very very cool!

I was actually out at their factory for an interview and learned that Shimano has changed the way loomis rods are built. Just as many large companies do they have bought a brand known for its quality and taken out certain steps they deem not important but in reality are the things that make them such high quality rods.

NFC has a "commen cents system" where the flex and power are measured to an exact standard that every rod must meet. When loomis rods are put to this test they are not consistent.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah for sure, loomis rods will never be the same.