Its getting closer

T
TimberTodd
Just shy of 1 month till opening day on Hagg (March 4). I will avoid the insanity on opening day, but I am anxious to get out in my Nucanoe. I ordered some of the VMC Spinshot hooks, a new style of wacky rig hook and some new soft plastics.

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah, my buddy & I fished the opener once; and NEVER will again. It was 60 degrees that day, and an ABSOLUTE ZOO!!! One mooseknuckle was trolling so close the to bank; that the bankies were throwing rocks at him. And he was clueless!!!

Good luck to all Hagg'ers this year.

B
Berg03
I am so ready for Hagg to be open. I go for the opening, i take my pontoon boat in the channels not reachable by land. It gets a little choppy with the boats running by me but still catch a lot of fish!

H
Hendo30
I can't wait....but will still wait for a few days after opening day. can't wait to share storys and pics from our local fishing adventures. Hope to maybe meet some of you out there this year.

T
TimberTodd
Opening day is too crazy for me. I am wondering why Hagg opens on the 4th which is a Sunday. I hope folks are paying attention. That could be a costly mistake to be caught fishing Saturday. I too hope to meet some of you.

N
noladude
Was just thinking about this today and lo and behold here we are talking about it. In lieu of getting new gear this year, how 'bout we all chip in for some dumber fish?

J
jaxworks
TimberTodd said:
Just shy of 1 month till opening day on Hagg (March 4). I will avoid the insanity on opening day, but I am anxious to get out in my Nucanoe. I ordered some of the VMC Spinshot hooks, a new style of wacky rig hook and some new soft plastics.

A buddy of mine and I were in McDonalds the other day (Feb 6th) heading out for Detroit (see Fun Day at Detroit) and another guy in fishing garb asked if we were heading out to Hagg Lake. He said that the fishing was good there all week. I informed him that Hagg was closed until March 3rd and his eyes got real big and he clammed up.
I hope these jerks get caught!! I can't believe guys can be so greedy and inconsiderate of everyone else to pull crap like that!

troutdude
troutdude
FYI...

The 2012 reg book clearly states, that Hagg is closed THROUGH Saturday March 3rd. Fishing on the lake, does NOT open "until" SUNDAY MARCH 4TH!

Last edited:
J
jaxworks
troutdude said:
FYI...

The 2012 reg book clearly states, that Hagg is closed THROUGH Saturday March 3rd. Fishing on the lake, does NOT open "until" SUNDAY MARCH 4TH!

OK OK....closed through March 3rd...happy now?

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry. By the way that you made your comment; I was unsure of what you meant. Maybe others that are reading this thread were also unsure.

I just didn't want anyone getting ticketed--including you. Just trying to look out for ya. Better to be safe, than sorry...right?

It's weird that Hagg is not open on Saturday; as it has been for a few years now. I wonder if that is a typo in the reg book?

J
jaxworks
troutdude said:
Sorry. By the way that you made your comment; I was unsure of what you meant. Maybe others that are reading this thread were also unsure.

I just didn't want anyone getting ticketed--including you. Just trying to look out for ya. Better to be safe, than sorry...right?

It's weird that Hagg is not open on Saturday; as it has been for a few years now. I wonder if that is a typo in the reg book?

No problem....If it is a typo it won't affect me as I agree that opening day is a mess. I only plan to be there on week days. Overnites at GP or Detroit are what I have planned.

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah, I'm planning to hit those places hard this year. Hope to see you on the water.

S
SluggoVW
I'll be there for the first time on 3/5. It'd be nice to catch some catfish or bass. But I'll be very happy with a few good size trout.

T
TimberTodd
Welcome to the forum Sluggo. If you look through the Hagg archives you will find a post with a map of Hagg put out by Luhr Jensen. I think Troutdude posted it. The map shows areas you are more apt to catch bass, crappie,etc. Good luck on the 5th.

S
SluggoVW
TimberTodd said:
Welcome to the forum Sluggo. If you look through the Hagg archives you will find a post with a map of Hagg put out by Luhr Jensen. I think Troutdude posted it. The map shows areas you are more apt to catch bass, crappie,etc. Good luck on the 5th.

Already saved the map. I'll be paying close attention to this forum throughout the season.

H
Hendo30
Welcome SlugoVW, I am sure we will cross paths out there this season. I mainly Bass fish at Hagg and I am here to tell ya, They are in there. Good luck out there.

S
SluggoVW
troutdude said:
Thanks for the nod there Todd.

Here is one of my Hagg maps, in case you guys don't have it:

Got both of those. I tend to over research things. That's how I stumbled on these forums. Looks like I'll be there on opening day 5/3 because my friend has things to do the rest of the week. I'm trying to get the locals on my vintage VW forum more into fishing. So hopefully i'll be bringing more of them out there over the season.

N
noladude
SluggoVW said:
I'm trying to get the locals on my vintage VW forum more into fishing.

Welcome, SluggoVW. By all means, bring your friends. Maybe the trout will go for some lil bugs :D