Installing Transducer

T
Thuggin4Life
stream2.5 said:
or ya could have called..... phone calls are always free....... and your " cheepo" would work right..... i kept a botom line at 75 mph with my race boat... and it didn't spray a single bit... and did i mention it was a M56 lowrance maping GPS/FF that i paid 100.00 for brand new in box.... ( bought 5 total )

as for speed... either a cheep water tattle tale style gauge, or a hand held GPS... a 35 mph 3" speedometer will cost about 60.00 plus the time for you to install it... or just find a good functional used hand held GPS at any reputible pawn shop for a few bucks.... really good ones sell for around 50.00 used, or 150 for a new base model.... all GPS display current speed... so you dont need a ubber fancy one if all you need is speedo..

as for lights wiring... before ya get all gun ho.. call and ill tell ya the best way to set the system up.... and for a depth finder and a set of lights a normal motor cycle battery will run everything flawless ly.... a FF uses 3 A max draw, and 3 lights for nav and ancor use about 5A total...

well you have seen my boat so this is my plan. on the triangle bow piece i was gonna mount the bowlights and run the wires down the sides in the little indentation there is back to the battery. for the stern light i was gonna get one of those socket type set ups with the plug in pole and put the socket on the transom behind the drivers seat. run that wire alongside the transducer wire to the battery. then just like the FF mount wires to the battery, run them out the box and put in connector(like a flat for for a trailer but a flat 2) so i can still get the baterry out of the boat. somewhere in line i was gonna put toggle switches and not sure if i need an inline fuse or not. What do you tink about that? If you look at show off your boat you can kinda visualize it all. as for the transduce I shouldn't have screwed in the bottom screw to allow a test run and then be able to slide it up or down but did it wrong and it even if i pulled out the bottom screw i can only slide it down. Maybe when I pull my boat apart for the complete makeove I will be able to adjust it and seal the holes. Here is a picture of the transducer it looks like it is flush and straight and all that and my rooster tail isn't as bad as I have seen them. I also to some pics of the indentation i plann on running the wires down and using a bit of take or marine selant ot hold them in place. take a look let me know. Oh and I also mounted the tansducer between the ribs.

M
mudslinging79
can you show a pic head on of the back of your boat/transducer? i have mine mounted so it will be level with the waterline, not angled with the stern bottom, wonder if that is making a difference...

M
mudslinging79
heres pocs of what i have to work with, extreme v design, back end is sitting level right to left... and its hard to see but the transducer bottom is level wth the bottom of the boat. wondering if i ned to angle the transducer to match the angle of the boat

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah I will post a pic later. Are you rooster tailling? According to the instructions mine is right but has a small rooster tail(seen them way worse like a jet ski) but the instructions also said if it rooster tails to bring it up a bit but i screwed it wrong and can only bring it down and will still have to plug one hole and make a new one so it stays. yours looks a bit low to me so if its rooster tailing bad thats why. If yours works fine withou a tail maybe your spot is better than mine. I hate instructions to hard to read.

G
GDBrown
Sealing the holes

Sealing the holes

I got some rivets from ACE Hardware store that were solid aluminum without the holes in the middle. Get them slightly larger than the current hole and drill the hole to match the size of the rivet. Get the shortest rivet you can that just gets through the hull. Using a heavy hammer on the rivet head side and a lighter hammer to strike with tap it hard enough to expand the rivet and seal the hole. I use to replace rivets on my boat all the time and never had any of them leak. Ask the guys at ACE for a rivet tool, if they have them it will help get a smooth head on the butt end of the rivet.

Good Luck,

GD

T
Thuggin4Life
Did you ever get out and see if you fixed the rooster tailing? So by those standards mine is perfect. I though I did it by the book but afet running it today and looking at it while moving it seems that once at a high speed the water doens't run on top of the transduder like is sits to high or something. If i went any higher it wouldn't really be in the water and I think they have to be in the water to work. Maybe i need to go lower?

M
mudslinging79
havent checked oit yet, but i looked at the site for installing it, and it liiks as if the seam on the transducer is supposed to be even or just under the nbottom of the boat, so if you had a straight line coming out the back of your boat, the transducer would be split in half top and bottom. if thats the case, i have to drop mine a hair, and im at home and boats in storage. oh well...