In need of catching a big one

F
fishy_girl
Ok so I am in need of catching that big one. Yes I know we are all in need of a real good catch but I have yet to get mine at all :( little fish yep caught my share. So where oh where are the big ones bitting I've had a crazy week and I am so ready to lose myself just in the joy of fishing. Yes I need help please

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I would head to any coastal stream...

brandon4455
brandon4455
what she said, go coastal. throw some size 5 chartruese spinners in the tidewater of any river that holds chinook, watch the tides n stuff and go for it. also, size 3 and 4 pink blue fox for coho. easiest ways to fish for salmon. one of the funnest if you ask me.

A
alseaalumaweld
looking for big fish only id say kwikfish seem to get bigger fish

N
Noahk
fishy_girl said:
Ok so I am in need of catching that big one. Yes I know we are all in need of a real good catch but I have yet to get mine at all :( little fish yep caught my share. So where oh where are the big ones bitting I've had a crazy week and I am so ready to lose myself just in the joy of fishing. Yes I need help please
What is your definition of big?

A
alseaalumaweld
53 pounds ha

F
fishy_girl
I am thinking a nice 30lb fishy would be great :) but I think any fish at this point is a good fish. I just want to catch me a fishy.

N
Noahk
fishy_girl said:
I am thinking a nice 30lb fishy would be great :) but I think any fish at this point is a good fish. I just want to catch me a fishy.
Well if you want to catch a 30lb fish you should probably make really good friends with someone with a boat and then spend a few hundred hours fishing. If you'd be happy with a 15-20 lb fish follow the advice above.

J
JeannaJigs
Noahk said:
Well if you want to catch a 30lb fish you should probably make really good friends with someone with a boat and then spend a few hundred hours fishing. If you'd be happy with a 15-20 lb fish follow the advice above.

X 2 I don't know how many hours I logged to get my 32 pounder this week. Lost track. It really is a numbers game of time spent with your line in the water.

A
alseaalumaweld
go with a good guide and make it easy

troutdude
troutdude
JeannaJigs said:
X 2 I don't know how many hours I logged to get my 32 pounder this week. Lost track. It really is a numbers game of time spent with your line in the water.

Great point. Can't catch fish, without spending time with your line in the water. That is a basic rule of the game. Rule #2? Refer to rule #1.

A
alseaalumaweld
rule 3 fallow none above aloted rules

troutdude
troutdude
Before we get the heavy rains and cooler temps that are coming soon...my favorite trick is to use an all black size #3 spinner in pockets above the tidewater areas. The Nooks will be bottled up in places, where they can't go beyond the structure (because the water isn't high enough yet).

A spinner with black body, black blade, and black tubing over the hook shank is DEADLY, in those pockets! The first day that I tried that (in the mid 80's), I hooked into 4 monster Nooks that were each 30+ pounds. So, don't believe everything that you hear on here. You CAN catch BIG fish from the bank, and you have to be there with your line in the water.

A
alseaalumaweld
calling for rain sunday mon. and river to rise. and the big tides next week. here come the fish!

troutdude
troutdude
Oh yeah, that's right. Good reminder...river's will rise soon.

Plus, those fish will then hole up even more in those "black spinner pockets" that I spoke of...in "non Mongolian" HOARDES!!!

So, go get 'em Fishygirl! And let us all know how you do.

H
halibuthitman
first off, 30 lbs is a pretty high bar, second, 30 lbs isn't exactly a toad... 40+ =toad, tillmook bay, Nehalem bay/river, NF Nehalem, cowlitz, nestucca or the trask would be my bets.. and a guide-