I'm guessing between 35 and 40

jamisonace
jamisonace
I haven't posted for awhile but the fishing sure has been good lately. I've processed over 50lbs of fillets this week. The majority of it came from this beast. As dark as it is, my friend convinced me it would cut nicely and he was right. The meat was buttery and fatty deliciousness.
The picture doesn't do it's size justice. I was really struggling to hold it for this picture. It was broad and deep. The sad thing is....the fish I had on before this was almost as big and dime bright. It broke me off and then got eaten by a seal. Bummer.

Anyway, I've been taking fillets to the people all around the neighborhood and they sure seem to appreciate it. I just don't know if I'll be keeping too many more fish until I get the ones I've caught recently eaten. I'm putting a serious workout on the new smoker these days.

Hope you all are doing well out there.

Tight lines!

• 097.JPG
Reactions: troutmasta
T
TTFishon
That's definitely a hog!!! Nice fish!!!

E
eugene1
Simply awesome! Nice work buddy,

R
rippin fish lips
Way to go man! Nice smoker friendly fish!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Didn't smoke any of it. Meat was near perfect. Colored up bucks often cut really well. OK, so near perfect is an exaggeration but the meat grilled really nicely.
I had a couple bright hens that went in the smoker though.

rippin fish lips said:
Way to go man! Nice smoker friendly fish!

Last edited:
E
eat, sleep, fish
I see you've got a big fish sweatshirt too ;)

Nice fish!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I won that sweatshirt in a photo contest on myoutdoorbuddy.com. I love it. Too bad I lost the $60 in xfactor gear I got from the contest when I sunk my boat.
eat said:
I see you've got a big fish sweatshirt too ;)

Nice fish!

S
steelhead_slayer
What a beast. I bet the other fish fought good

J
jabs67
What a beast!!!!! :clap::clap:

bass
bass
What an awesome looking fish! Way to go.

T
troutmasta
BEast ModE!!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've been hearing from the dozen or so families that this fish fed that it was the best salmon they've had. It's crazy because it wasn't a chromer by any means obviously, but the thing was incredibly flavorful and moist. Makes me want to go after some more dark bucks...seriously.

S
steelhead_slayer
Interesting

jamisonace
jamisonace
What's even more interesting is that I took a bright hen a few days before and I couldn't even smoke it. You never know til you cut into these fall salmon.

M
mikeredding
jamisonace said:
What's even more interesting is that I took a bright hen a few days before and I couldn't even smoke it. You never know til you cut into these fall salmon.

Oh yeah, that is no secret. The bucks hold much longer. The hens meat goes first because all of her nutrients are continually going to the eggs.

Nice fish by the way. What a brute!

H
Hawk
Well Done, bro...:lol::lol::lol::cool:

:clap::clap::clap:

B
bran_man
Yeah that is a hog of a fish!!! I'm thinking closer to 40's! It is pretty massive! me and the wife brought home a 35 pounder and it did not look as big as that!!! There is a way you can tell if the meat will be good or not by looking inside their mouths. just cause they may not be the prettiest on the outside doesn't mean it will not have beautiful meat on the inside :D. Way to share with the neighbors too! I do that pretty often and they love us for it! Ha ha great work!

W
washahands
I'm just sitting here, patiently waiting for you to ring my doorbell with my fillet.

T
troutmasta
bran_man said:
Yeah that is a hog of a fish!!! I'm thinking closer to 40's! It is pretty massive! me and the wife brought home a 35 pounder and it did not look as big as that!!! There is a way you can tell if the meat will be good or not by looking inside their mouths. just cause they may not be the prettiest on the outside doesn't mean it will not have beautiful meat on the inside :D. Way to share with the neighbors too! I do that pretty often and they love us for it! Ha ha great work!

How can you tell by looking the mouth?

jamisonace
jamisonace
If the inside of the mouth is nice and pink there's a better chance the meat is good. I also squeeze them a little to make sure they don't release sperm. Bucks really do last a long time before they are too far gone for the grill.