I need some info on Willy sturgeon

F
frodog
Glad to be of assistence better luck next time.

S
Seefood Man
I'll share this with ya all,,,, Look for the WARMEST water this time of year on the Willey. Keep in mind that when the tide is blowing in the colder water will be pushed into the bottom end on the channel, thus shutting down or pushing the fish up channel.
Also, the sturgeon's metabolism have slowed way down this time of year, so down size the baits and watch for much lighter taps (3/0-4/0 hooks and baits to match) no need for whole smelt,,,.

S
steelhead1
first keeper

first keeper

We landed 16 shakers and a keeper (my first) thursday.I wonder why more peaple dont use live worms,not many fish that can resist!:D Oh yeah,I held my rod the whole time,all of the bites were SUPER subtle, exept one.I mention this because it seems that most of the guys around set their rods in holders.IMO some of those fish would have been missed, just watching for bites.

Last edited:
S
Seefood Man
steelhead1 said:
We landed 16 shakers and a keeper (my first) thursday.I wonder why more peaple dont use live worms,not many fish that can resist!:D

Congrats on that nice keeper. Looks real clean. Many do use worms and sandshrimp combos. Worms are a must during or after a good rain.
Once again Congrats on your first keeper! :)

S
southside_10
steelhead1 said:
We landed 16 shakers and a keeper (my first) thursday.I wonder why more peaple dont use live worms,not many fish that can resist!:D Oh yeah,I held my rod the whole time,all of the bites were SUPER subtle, exept one.I mention this because it seems that most of the guys around set their rods in holders.IMO some of those fish would have been missed, just watching for bites.

Congratulations on the nice keeper!! Nothing tastes quite as good!!

Peace, Tom

S
stonesworth
Grats man..And ya a bunch of people use sand shrimp and worms the old time guys swear by it, my friend wraps his or packs full squid with them sometimes when it gets slow..Again grats on the fish..:clap:

T
troutmasta
stonesworth said:
Grats man..And ya a bunch of people use sand shrimp and worms the old time guys swear by it, my friend wraps his or packs full squid with them sometimes when it gets slow..Again grats on the fish..:clap:

Ive caught half of my sturgeon on worm sand shrimp combo. I like to use it during the spring time when the ground is wet.

S
steelhead1
good to know! I have only targeted sturgeon a few times,and everyone I have gone with told me they wont/dont hit worms.I guess some peaple dont like change..Thanks for props!:D

S
Seefood Man
Here is a little tip when rigging worms. Grab the worm by the tail and give a good swing so it's little, itty bitty head whacks on something solid, like the side of your boat. This will stun the worm and make it so much easier to tie down on the hook.
Plus it gives you the satisfaction of killing something. :D

S
steelhead1
I disagree with wacking the worm on the "head"(you know what I mean:).Nothing in the world is more enticing than a live wiggling worm (imo)
.I will even change out a worm out for a freshie when it goes limp,no matter the target species.