I got questions!!

W
waco
Please help!! Well I'm thinking of making the investment to get a boat for my addiction! But I don't know anything about boating!! :confused: I'm thinking of either a pontoon boat for 2 person or a drift boat!! But idk how to pick the right one, how do I do that? How can I pick the right boat? What are the main thinks I need to consider when buying one!! .
If I choose to get a pontoon boat how do I know I'm getting a good boat?
If I get a drift boat! How do I know what to get? Wood, aluminum or fiberglass?
I want something to fish mainly the clack, the sandy and maybe some coastal rivers!!
Again I don't know anything about boats, I even need to get someone to teach me how to row and stuff :rolleyes: x

Last edited:
V
veilside180sx
What your asking...is a tall order that will largely based only on personal opinion.

List what types of fishing you have a preference for...pulling plugs, drift fishing, bobber dogging, fly, etc...

If you are a lower river (ie...very little risk involved) kind of person...a drift boat can't be beat. If you are trying to get further from the beaten path...a cat/pontoon is the better craft for it, and much more forgiving to learners mistakes.

Wood vs aluminum vs glass. (Personally I would skip wood all together) That would make it glass vs aluminum. Either material is perfectly suitable for almost everything, but they bot have strong suits...as anything type of boat does.

Cats...I can tell you anything you want to know.=) Since that's what I build for work.

2 People = 12-14 ft
Buy tubes that are Maxxon (best of the non-premium imported), Aire, Sotar, Maravia, NRS)

Are you looking at used or new?

Expect to trailer a 2 person cat, as it's a complete waste of time having to take them down every time you want to run something. (also means you can fish longer rather than having to plan time for setup and takedown after a run)

Last edited:
S
Socaaron
I say get the drift, then you will have a open seat for me! Lol I know nothing about boats as I am almost always stuck on shore except when sturgeon fishing :(

M
Modest_Man
A pontoon/cataraft means you'll just be hopping from spot to spot and then bank fishing. They're dangerous to anchor up with. They can take higher classes of rapids with a higher margin of error than a drift boat though, and can go through skinnier water as well.

V
veilside180sx
Modest_Man said:
A pontoon/cataraft means you'll just be hopping from spot to spot and then bank fishing. They're dangerous to anchor up with. They can take higher classes of rapids with a higher margin of error than a drift boat though, and can go through skinnier water as well.

A 12 or 14 ft cat is no more dangerous to anchor than a drift boat. They just will not anchor as easily, or hold in as heavy of water. Understand the limitations of yourself and your equipment and you'll never have a problem.

M
Mad dog
waco said:
Please help!! Well I'm thinking of making the investment to get a boat for my addiction! But I don't know anything about boating!! :confused: I'm thinking of either a pontoon boat for 2 person or a drift boat!! But idk how to pick the right one, how do I do that? How can I pick the right boat? What are the main thinks I need to consider when buying one!! .
If I choose to get a pontoon boat how do I know I'm getting a good boat?
If I get a drift boat! How do I know what to get? Wood, aluminum or fiberglass?
I want something to fish mainly the clack, the sandy and maybe some coastal rivers!!
Again I don't know anything about boats, I even need to get someone to teach me how to row and stuff :rolleyes: x

Boat!!!! :D

Great deals out there right now on some great used aluminium driftboats. I could,'t imagine sitting in a toon on a cold, soggy steelhead fishing day!

C
ChezJfrey
Mad dog said:
Boat!!!! :D

Great deals out there right now on some great used aluminium driftboats. I could,'t imagine sitting in a toon on a cold, soggy steelhead fishing day!

Yeah, you've always struck me as the delicate little flower type...LOL ;)

Troutski
Troutski
Drift boat, spend as much as you can and just a little bit more, you can never have to much room; trust me on this.
Aluminum is by far the easiest to take care of. I have a DVD from LaMoyne Hyde that teaches you what NOT to do as well as how to read the water. If you like I can send you a copy, safety first.

Chuck

M
Mad dog
ChezJfrey said:
Yeah, you've always struck me as the delicate little flower type...LOL ;)

He,he....ya, I'm kind of soft and delicate natured!!! :D

I would go Aluminum with a 10-15hp kicker Waco. The versatility with that will blow a toon right out of the water as far a catching fish goes! By the time toon guy gets his rig on the water, I have already motored a 1-1/2 miles upstream through a rapid, in the dark, to the run I want to fish and already have a salmon in the box! Can't do that kind of stuff in a toon!

H
halibuthitman
I have a toon, driftboat and a sled... and would give them all up for a framed two man raft with a casting platform... tucca, trask, kilches, necanicum, upper wilson..... all would be a lot more fun from a raft... but the glass pavati rides arent bad if you have a 750 credit score!

M
mosd
if i had it to do all over again i would get a power drifter, its a cross between a drift boat and jet sled.. has the front end of a drift boat, but the flat bottom to where you can put either a prop or a small jet. ive seen em out on the siuslaw in the bay an look reel good, plus you can launch an jet up river an "drift" on the way back. fish rite makes em as well as some other shops out there, just have to do some searchin

W
waco
I just want something that can get me away from the crowds! I'm thinking of something used since it's my first . What is wrong with the wood ones? Those are cheaper!

W
waco
Troutski said:
Drift boat, spend as much as you can and just a little bit more, you can never have to much room; trust me on this.
Aluminum is by far the easiest to take care of. I have a DVD from LaMoyne Hyde that teaches you what NOT to do as well as how to read the water. If you like I can send you a copy, safety first.

Chuck
Hey Troutski it will be awesome if you could let me watch a copy of that DVD! Thanks for the help!

V
veilside180sx
waco said:
I just want something that can get me away from the crowds! I'm thinking of something used since it's my first . What is wrong with the wood ones? Those are cheaper!

They are good light boats, but require considerably more maintenance and not very forgiving to a beginning rower.

M
mosd
waco said:

prob with wood, is maintenance... gluvet bottom, an seal everything not to mention wood repair... granted wood boats are nice to look at but a pain to maintain. i had a wooden pram an every year had to gluvet the bottom, an put a sealer on the sides..

H
Holden McGroin
Purchasing and maintaining a boat is a major investment of time, money, and effort. I think you ought to find some friends with different types of boats and go out fishing with them a few times to get the feel of each type of boat you are considering purchasing. All boats possess positive and negative attributes. One that is good for rivers may not be so good for lakes, bays, and ocean use. Determine what type of fishing you like to do most often, what length craft would best meet your personal needs, consider power and equipment options, construction materials, and ease of launching, transport, and storage. Be sure to take the Oregon Safe Boating Course and get your operator's card which is required for all boat operators in this state. Goos luck!

J
JeannaJigs
Drift boat with a kicker is pretty much the most versatile boat you can get. Rivers, lakes, bays. I'd go glass or aluminum, eff wood! (unless you like doing wood work, then knock yourself out lol). That said those cats can go places in rivers a drifter can't, but they're not as versatile.

As far as boaters cards go, only required for 10 horse or larger, but still info every person should know.