I got my first summer????

M
Mad dog
Bad Tuna said:
Sandy and Clack are all Skamania stock, and not native.

There is currently a study being conducted on the North Umpqua, according to OSU fisheries researchers, summer steelhead are not native to the North Umpqua. As for the Rogue, I don't know.

OSU biologist's....OH MAN!!! I'm sure they would know!

Summer steelhead have been documented in the North umpqua as early as 1916. Someone transplanted fish prior to this? I don't buy that for a second! I know they are studying the percentage of hatchery spawners in the fly only water, it's estimated to be around 20%

P
plumb2fish
SantiamDrifter said:
On coastal rivers, Re-runs can come in, spawn, then head back out to the ocean in only a couple days. And I dont believe there are any truely native summer runs on any river west of the cascades. The first run of summer native steelhead being the Deschutes.
North Umpqua River summer steelhead is the only stock of hatchery steelhead on the Oregon Coast considered by ODFW to be genetically similar to the native steelhead from the area in which it is released. This hatchery stock is derived from the native North Umpqua fish, and little attempt has been made to alter the stock's life history characteristics (e.g., migration and spawn timing) (ODFW 1994a).

All summer steelhead in this ESU, apart from those in the Siletz and Umpqua River Basins, are introduced from the Siletz River. Within the Siletz River, about 90% of the naturally spawning summer steelhead are of hatchery origin (ODFW 1994a

T
Thuggin4Life
NIce winter eel!

Reactions: brandon4455
N
nativefish
i always look for freckles on the fins if im not sure. fresh fish are like white fins and once they been around a while they start to spot up. Still jealous, its a good fish

M
MadMick
The Siletz has a true summer run.