troutdude
troutdude
This guy didn't go trout fishing last Fall...he went

PIG HUNTING!

https://www.facebook.com/OregonFishReports

Detroit monster trout.jpg

E
eugene1
Good sized fish! I think he is long arming it quite a bit though. I wonder how much it weighed or measured?

Best,

M
mikeee2362
Long armed yes, but big? Yes. Looks 11 or 12 from my house.

brandon4455
brandon4455
the colors indicate rainbow, but size and the kype look like steelhead. they do ship steelhead and salmon above the dam so they can spawn in tributaries above, but being it was in fall, it is highly unlikely the fish is a steelhead, as the bulk of wild steelhead return february- april to the santiam system. the thing that really throws me off is there are really no ample food sources in the lake or river to produce trout that size, unless the fish was down deep eating kokanee the whole time, which is also very unlikely because rainbow trout are not very predatory.Very interesting

troutdude
troutdude
It appears to be, a one year hold-over, in one respect (maybe planted as an 8 - 10 pounder). But, it also looks like it's adipose is fully present (i.e. non-clipped). So, it is indeed a conundrum. The fisherman claims 12+ pounds, btw.

B
Big3d
Based on another pic in the comments on facebook for this pic, I guessed he was at big cliff, which doesn't answer any of these questions but big cliff does hold big fish...

troutdude
troutdude
Ha ha. He does allude to Big Cliff. Good call buddy!

T
Throbbit _Shane
The other picture of it on FB looks like it's a Brooder.

M
Modest_Man
Fins are all in very good shape for it to be from a broodstock program.

S
sbrooks
It looks like a brooder with the color it has. Does anyone know for sure if all hatchery trout are fin clipped? Detroit and big cliff have non-clipped fish that are tiny with white meat like planters have.