How we killed off the giant salmon of the Pacific Northwest in 50 years

S

shiverfix

An interesting take on it. EDIT: You do have to get past the preachy beginning, but the information is interesting.

An interesting counter point to the Patagonia video.

Grant22

Grant22

An interesting take on it. EDIT: You do have to get past the preachy beginning, but the information is interesting.

Definitely a take on it unfortunately they really have an anti hatchery motive behind it. Check out Hathery wild coexist they are really doing some good work

Grant22

Grant22

Natural abundance has its limits, especially when you dam the path to the breeding grounds-- as was the case with the giant Chinook salmon of the Pacific northwest. Seeing their enormous silvery forms leaping upriver is a miraculous sight in some of this archival footage, but a fish can’t leap over a 100-foot dam. The fish known as “june hogs” are no more.

What do you say?
This video has a lot of really good information by northwest steel headers from a while back

Sam schall

Sam schall

It would be interesting to know the impact of marine mammal protection and population growth in all this.

Also, not to pick a fight, but what evidence is there that the tribes had any kind of approach other than "catch every fish you can, salt and smoke for storage" ? I mean, was there a quota ? A management plan ? Tags ? Bag limits ?

The thing that kept the tribes from doing what the white man did was a lack of technology and industrial base/development, near as I can tell.
I know they had some traditions that bordered management and spirituality like letting the first caught fish go “ to tell the other fish that these people are chill” and some other quota like cultural/spiritual standards. But in reality there wasn’t enough people to overfish so they probably didn’t have to worry about it. Wouldn’t that be nice right now

Top Bottom