How to tell if a salmon is still good

B
bigdog
HAMBONE said:
I'm a bit surprised you would ask. The fish is not eatable what so ever. Even smoked it is not good. It has no earthly good except to give us all the next batch of fish. If it was a decent size fish it had 4000 to 6000 eggs that went into the trash.

You even stated
But for food wise I wouldn't keep anything that has white spots. Most people think that the eggs are only good if still in the skien but even if the are singles they can still be cured and use. If you trout fish they are great and for other fish you can use spawn sacks.

Why a shame? :naughty::naughty:

Yep for food it was no good thats right BUT like I said the eggs can still be cured and used in spawn sacks or for trout fishing. Maybe you didn't read what I was saying right.

As far as fish what would it matter they are (hatchnates) not only are they not true nates (Witch we all know we don't need or want) they are going to be fish that we can NOT keep in the future. So I don't see how you feel it is able to give us the next batch of fish. Does this mean we shouldn't keep any hens because they are carring (the fish of the future)?

The hatch only allow so many fish in to to get the eggs out of and then they allow no more. So this fish wasn't going to be bringing us anymore fish at all that would do any good. Rather someone keeps a fish or not they are still going to get the amount of fish they need. Look at what is going on at the sandy hatch this year. They got the fish they wanted and now they are killing and giving 2000 fish a day to food banks and prisons. Do you feel the same way about what they are doing? Who is more shamed in this the guy that kept one dieing worthless fish and got himself some single eggs to cure or the hatch that is killing 2000 a day?

I'm not trying to start a argument here but I don't feel you should shame someone for bonking a fish that was going to dies anyways and only produce fish that can not be harvest in a few years.

CJ

Last edited:
H
HAMBONE
The final word on this issue!

The final word on this issue!

We have different feelings about what is right and what is wrong. I will not debate mine. They come from a life time of being deeply involved with sport fishing.

Tight lines and a good day to you.

H

M
Mustangdan23
Man dont throw it away thats kinda a waste of a fish, freeze it and used it to catch some crabs works great!

M
Mike123
If it's a hatchery fish I bonk pretty much no matter what...

If it's a native and the season is open I will only keep it if it will all be eatable.
Honestly I think they should have changed the regs to where you can keep two native coho and closed native chinook on the coast rivers where I fish...
Just my opinion. Or maybe have closed retention on chinook after Nov. 1st...
Not saying I haven't kept a chinook or am against it, cause the season is open, but not too sure of ODFW's management methods.

G
Grego
Fishtopher said:
Just what we need. More inferior hatchery offspring competing with natives.:)naughty:)
A friend of the family is a hatchery man from SW Washington. He said that somewhere around 20% of the salmon that are intended to be clipped aren't, resulting in 20% of any returning hatchery run being 'naturals'. There's no conspiracy why they don't get clipped, just that's it's not as easy when going through batches of literally millions of fish - by hand. Just saying that a good portion of 'natives' are just unclipped hatchery fish.

Also, don't feel bad about killing a hatchery fish for eggs. Odds are that if that fish makes it into a pen it's eggs aren't going to be used. They use a fair amount of fish to keep the genetic variance as high as possible, but most end up in the garbage anyways. I wouldn't think that more than 1 in 100 is used for eggs during good run years. Obviously that ratio depends on how strong a run is in any given year.

M
Mike123
I think it's really dumb that they trap the coho one time and then kill them.
Why not put them all in the truck and bring them back down to like Oxbow park or something... Recycle! Man here on the S. Santiam they recycle the crap outta the fish until the fish can't even make it back up! 75% of fish that I caught this year were tagged.

F
fish_4_all
I check the gills for eatability. Has never failed me. If they are blood red and the tips are not turning white then they will make good table fair. I have even kept a blood red gilled fish that had a couple hundred gill leeches on them and it was perfect table fair.