How to reasonably confront?

B
Bean
Alright, so this is not the first situation where some dude has come up to me while fishing and talked my ear off about all the fish they're catching (and keeping?). My question is, how do you guys point out when some one is breaking the regulations? Had a guy come up to me and talk about fishing silvers in an area where it is absolutely closed. I said that I thought it was closed to fishing silvers here but conveniently, the guy didn't hear me. I live in a small community (very small) so it doubles the anxiety in confronting someone about regulation violations. Do you guys have any smooth ways to point out that someone is violating regulation?

J
JeannaJigs
I go out of my way to not promote conversation with people, but I just say if it's closed or whatever and cut off the conversAtion. I've called the number on my tag a few times if they're just a-holes blatantly poaching or snagging

R
rainORsnow1
Bean said:
Alright, so this is not the first situation where some dude has come up to me while fishing and talked my ear off about all the fish they're catching (and keeping?). My question is, how do you guys point out when some one is breaking the regulations? Had a guy come up to me and talk about fishing silvers in an area where it is absolutely closed. I said that I thought it was closed to fishing silvers here but conveniently, the guy didn't hear me. I live in a small community (very small) so it doubles the anxiety in confronting someone about regulation violations. Do you guys have any smooth ways to point out that someone is violating regulation?

I find if you say it nicely they usually feel more stupid and learn something. If they disagree I've got the regs in the truck or on my phone and I gladly tell them I'll show them. If they acknowledge their mistake, I make sure I tell them nicely they need to check their regs before they go fishing. If they're an a-hole like jeannajigs said, I have no problem turning them in.

Even if it is a small community, he is hurting yours and my resources! That just makes me mad thinking about it. Our laws are complicated because of people like this, but everybody needs to follow them and be held accountable!

Aervax
Aervax
"The last guy who put that many _ _ _ _ _in his freezer from the _ _ _ _ _ River lost his license for 5 years, had his truck impounded, did 60 hours of community service, and paid $5000 in fines. A guy can't get a decent job these days with that on his record. I bet that last guy wishes he had known the regs."

If it was an honest lazy mistake they will ask questions. If it was a malicious act they will shut up and move on.

C
Combat Chuck
People usually just come screaming and yelling at me... and they have always been wrong. Im not sure what the right answer is but I wish more were willing to reasonably confront. I have had a lot of trouble on the water even though I generally study every step of the regs. Maybe I just look like a punk and these people need to prove just how "bad___" they are. Point is, you wont be the biggest jerk out there... even if it may feel that way.

18406ej
18406ej
I would simply congratulate them and mention in a polite and casual way that (you) thought the regs had mentioned the area in question as being closed or otherwise limited.

"You might want to double check, because I know that the Troopers are up here all the time...". This is a good closer, not only giving them some thought about a citation, but also suggesting that the cops are around the area a lot. Not a bad hint whether you are a man or a woman fishing alone.

RainOrSnow, I am not trying to sound condescending here, but if a stranger disagrees with you it is most often best to just smile, shrug and turn away. I find that it helps to say "stupid f-ck" in a low voice once they can't hear you or see your lips. From professional experience I would very much recommend not showing your phone or inviting a stranger to accompany you to your vehicle. Human nature being what it is, our outer appearance can be an extremely deceptive opposite to danger and turmoil within. If I had been off-duty and came across Ted Bundy's Volkswagen broken down on the road, I have no doubt that I would have stopped to help him, kindly leaning deep inside of the car to hook up the under-seat jumper cables.

A very sad reflection on humanity, but there is just no way to gauge if your cell phone or your body could end up being tossed into the river.

Eamon

Admin
Admin
Hit him down as a football player yelling "Sitizen arrest!" (or "Police brutality" I don't remember).

:D

R
rainORsnow1
18406ej said:
I would simply congratulate them and mention in a polite and casual way that (you) thought the regs had mentioned the area in question as being closed or otherwise limited.

"You might want to double check, because I know that the Troopers are up here all the time...". This is a good closer, not only giving them some thought about a citation, but also suggesting that the cops are around the area a lot. Not a bad hint whether you are a man or a woman fishing alone.

RainOrSnow, I am not trying to sound condescending here, but if a stranger disagrees with you it is most often best to just smile, shrug and turn away. I find that it helps to say "stupid f-ck" in a low voice once they can't hear you or see your lips. From professional experience I would very much recommend not showing your phone or inviting a stranger to accompany you to your vehicle. Human nature being what it is, our outer appearance can be an extremely deceptive opposite to danger and turmoil within. If I had been off-duty and came across Ted Bundy's Volkswagen broken down on the road, I have no doubt that I would have stopped to help him, kindly leaning deep inside of the car to hook up the under-seat jumper cables.

A very sad reflection on humanity, but there is just no way to gauge if your cell phone or your body could end up being tossed into the river.

Eamon

Oh I agree and I'll reiterate that I am very polite so most don't get their feathers ruffled. I approach it very much the sane as you and I would never invite someone to my truck or just hand over my phone. In fact I've only argued with a couple guys and upon asking if they'd like to see the regs guess how many of them said yes?
I also agree that you can't be to safe now days. My father was a deputy sheriff growing up so I've heard all the horror stories and just shrugging will not detour most people who are looking for a battle.
But what I don't agree with is helping him out, if he's a jerk by warning him of authorities presence in the area.
Him getting a ticket might be the only way he/she might learn. This is all hypothetical obviously.

F
fishingduck
I try to put it in context. If a person is fishing on Monday and the season opens Tuesday is it really necessary to engage in a confrontation over 24hrs? If a person is running a gill net across the river I'm on the phone to ODFW. Always be polite, use humor and express your position in a non-judgmental third person tone. Try to distance yourself from the situation. For example: I think it's illegal for you to take silvers in that area -Wrong way.....It's pretty easy to catch silvers in that area, isn't that why ODFW created some rule about where people have to fish for them?-the words "you" and "I" are not in the conversation.