How to fix leaky waders?

G
Grant23
My breathables have developed a leak. how do I locate the leak so I can patch it up? I think it may be on the seam. Any help is much appreciated.
 
B
beaverfan
I use Shoe Goo, but I have neoprene waders. I would think it should work on your breathables too. My dad used to be a water skier and he always used it on his neoprene wet suit and his dry suit to seal up any leaks.
 
G
GDBrown
Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders

Grant23 said:
My breathables have developed a leak. how do I locate the leak so I can patch it up? I think it may be on the seam. Any help is much appreciated.

Dry them out completely! Then put them on, walk into the water and get out fast. Let the outsides dry before taking them off, turn them inside out and look for the wet spot. If you don't see the leak, repeat the above with a longer stay in the water. When you do find the leak mark it with a permanent marker ( circle it do not mark by a spot over the leak) If it is a seam then "Seam Sealer" for tents can be found at a good Outdoors store like REI or Cabela's. If it is in the middle of the fabric seam sealer may not work but is worth a try.

Also check online for manufacturers suggestions.

Hope this helps,;)

GD
 
M
Mike123
I've noticed that when they leak it's almost always the seam.
I got brand new neoprenes from Cabela's and they leaked out of the box brand new at the seam.. second pair did the same thing. I've heard of really expensive waders doing the same thing.
 
H
halibuthitman
Mike123 said:
I've noticed that when they leak it's almost always the seam.
I got brand new neoprenes from Cabela's and they leaked out of the box brand new at the seam.. second pair did the same thing. I've heard of really expensive waders doing the same thing.

I have had the same crap luck with cabellas neoprenes, but have had amazing results with their breathables:):
 
M
Mike123
halibuthitman said:
I have had the same crap luck with cabellas neoprenes, but have had amazing results with their breathables:):

Hmm... maybe I'll order their top of the line breathables.. I hate being cold and most lightweight waders dont cut it for me. I have their 5mm ones and they are nice a toasty! I honestly don't see how some guys wear breathables when it's below freezing out and snowing. :shock:

From what I've heard Cabela's waders are lifetime warranty? Is that right?
 
L
luv2fish
leaky waders

leaky waders

I've 4 set of waders and infact my oldest breathables are 4 years old and i never had any problem of leak. I custom ordered it to a company in Canada.

Brand new , sometimes ..i mean some times they have a leak at seam but thats 1 in 10,000 or maybe 100,000 but breathables get ripped fast by jagged rocks and branches while scouting the shore or tryin to reach a hole..

you should check first for obvious holes and rips and then check the seam

funny incident.....this guy bought new waders and very first time while he was fishing with me at dodge park, start complaining that he thinks he has a leak and his feet are getting wet...well he hopped out of water 3-4 times and nothing...no rip no wet spot or water..

when you wear those shoes on your waders, there's hardly any air intake....and your feet start swetting..in some cases its extreme (its not uncommon to see people whose palms and feet sweat like crazy )...

Not that i'm saying your one of those guys but it just occured to me and it was funny.

even the cheapest waders of any kind ( neoprene and breathables) come with the repair kit..and it works...

i think bi mart sells individual repair kits...not sure but in the back of my head i think i saw something like that there...
 
S
steelheadstalker31
If you can find the leak, I would recommend aquaseal. You can find it at Bi-mart or Walmart. It is the best for stopping leaks for good.
 
A
autofisher
just for thoughts

just for thoughts

In my opinion, there's only one real way to make sure the leaks don't come back. It's tough, it's rigid, and it should last a lifetime if it's done right.

Here's what ya do. Go down to your local hardware store and get some fiberglass sheets and the resin for them. Put the waders on and slather the resin and fiber glass all over them and let it dry. Shouldn't have any problems after that....:lol:

Seriously though, shoe goo, tent repair kits, they'll all for the most part seal up the leak. If you can, try to seal it from both sides. Meaning. Find the leak, fix it on the outside, and then when it dries, turn them inside out and apply the leak protection to the inside at the same spot.
 
R
Razz
Take your shopvac and use the discharge /blower put the hose in the boots spray soapy water and look for the bubbles. Dry then repair becure to mark the hole:D
 
S
steelhead_stalkers
steelheadstalker31 said:
If you can find the leak, I would recommend aquaseal. You can find it at Bi-mart or Walmart. It is the best for stopping leaks for good.

The only way to go!! :dance:
 
O
OnTheFly
autofisher said:
In my opinion, there's only one real way to make sure the leaks don't come back. It's tough, it's rigid, and it should last a lifetime if it's done right.

Here's what ya do. Go down to your local hardware store and get some fiberglass sheets and the resin for them. Put the waders on and slather the resin and fiber glass all over them and let it dry. Shouldn't have any problems after that....:lol:
Seriously though, shoe goo, tent repair kits, they'll all for the most part seal up the leak. If you can, try to seal it from both sides. Meaning. Find the leak, fix it on the outside, and then when it dries, turn them inside out and apply the leak protection to the inside at the same spot.

A don't forget the proper application tools: Mason trowel and squee-gee. :D

Andy & Bax has the best selection of repair kits for anything.
 
J
JeannaJigs
Yeah what has been said, I repaired a pair of mine after I lost a battle to the blackberries (I won the war later though, with the assistance of a machete). I just used the repair kit that came with mine, and then when I used that up and had another battle...i bought sealant at bi-mart and it worked.

Mike123 said:
Hmm... maybe I'll order their top of the line breathables.. I hate being cold and most lightweight waders dont cut it for me. I have their 5mm ones and they are nice a toasty! I honestly don't see how some guys wear breathables when it's below freezing out and snowing. :shock:

From what I've heard Cabela's waders are lifetime warranty? Is that right?

I am one of those people in breatheables when it's below freezing and snowing lol. I hate neoprene, because conditions change so much in one day! Snow in the morning and then 60 degree sun. It's ridiculous. So I have always used breatheables. I see it this way...I can layer up under them...and adjust accordingly...with 5mm neoprenes...if the sun comes up, it's a sauna. I don't do saunas.
 
M
metalfisher76
JeannaJigs said:
Yeah what has been said, I repaired a pair of mine after I lost a battle to the blackberries (I won the war later though, with the assistance of a machete). I just used the repair kit that came with mine, and then when I used that up and had another battle...i bought sealant at bi-mart and it worked.



I am one of those people in breatheables when it's below freezing and snowing lol. I hate neoprene, because conditions change so much in one day! Snow in the morning and then 60 degree sun. It's ridiculous. So I have always used breatheables. I see it this way...I can layer up under them...and adjust accordingly...with 5mm neoprenes...if the sun comes up, it's a sauna. I don't do saunas.

EXACTLY! Why would you buy neo`s unless you only fish the winter months? Long johns and layers. I`m perfectly warm in Cabela`s dry plus, garauntee ya! Heck I just wear my felt boots and shorts in the summer. My brother has neo`s and starts whining before we even start walking out of some the spots we fish in the WINTER.
 
L
luv2fish
i'm on your side on this...metalfisher & jeanna.....i cannot wear neoprene...it just make me feel like i'm restricted..i'm 6'3 tall and 225 lbs....and after wearing those neoprenes jesus christ.. lil hike where you have to like clkimb and twist your legs and stuff....man..it feels like a battle...
I have a custom ordered Dan Bailey...... and sometimes i use my hodgeman and simms...nothing like breathable waders...i always wondered why people don't notice the restriction of movement........unless you wear 2-3 sizes over.
 
M
Mike123
metalfisher76 said:
EXACTLY! Why would you buy neo`s unless you only fish the winter months? Long johns and layers. I`m perfectly warm in Cabela`s dry plus, garauntee ya! Heck I just wear my felt boots and shorts in the summer. My brother has neo`s and starts whining before we even start walking out of some the spots we fish in the WINTER.

I like to be WARM... Like today on the sandy my toes were STILL NUMB even in my 5mm waders.. In the summer I have 3mm ones... but the water stays a constant 52-53 degrees here on the south santiam.. it's cold year round..
If it's hot out I wear shorts.
I don't ever complain about them being too warm..? Maybe cause Im skinny..
Fat people reallly dont like neoprene. :lol: It doesn't have enough room for them. My dad is one to tell me this.
 
T
troutmasta
In a float tube at harriet in mid july. Still HAVE to have neo waders with battery powered socks. Cold toes make people misserable. And in cold water you get cold toes.
 
M
metalfisher76
I wear socks, good ones .
 
J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
I like to be WARM... Like today on the sandy my toes were STILL NUMB even in my 5mm waders.. In the summer I have 3mm ones... but the water stays a constant 52-53 degrees here on the south santiam.. it's cold year round..
If it's hot out I wear shorts.
I don't ever complain about them being too warm..? Maybe cause Im skinny..
Fat people reallly dont like neoprene. :lol: It doesn't have enough room for them. My dad is one to tell me this.
I think you're just cold blooded lol. I fish the McKenzie during the summer, it's 45 degrees.
 
G
Grant23
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the helpful info everyone!!
I had some Aquaseal at home and resealed some of the seams that looked to be the problem. Hopefully it will keep raining and I will find out after work if the repair worked!!

thanks again
 

Similar threads

Grant22
Replies
0
Views
1K
Grant22
Grant22
E
Replies
15
Views
600
troutdude
troutdude
R
Replies
10
Views
747
Grant22
Grant22
O
Replies
8
Views
521
olshiftybiscuits
O
troutdude
Replies
1
Views
382
Grant22
Grant22
Top Bottom