How should I fish?

K
Kais
I want to know what the best fighting fish is out there in roegon. I want like a medium size, ( i don't want to go up to salmon or steelies).

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Kais said:
I am not new to fishing, well, I guess you could say that. I've been fishing trout since I five. I am starting to think I should step up to something bigger, but I fear Salmon and Steel head is a bit too much. Can anyone help with some suggestions. I live near sandy so I go fishing around those lakes and streams like Benson, sometimes Estacada and things like that. So how can manage to get some bigger fish without having to get too big of fish?
I guess all I am asking is...
How Should I Fish?

There is no such thing as too big of a fish....

K
Kais
n

Last edited:
A
autofisher
If you're looking for a fish that's going to put up more of a fight than your hatchery rainbow, I would check into some bass fishing. They fight and they're a kick in the pants. If you're wanting to hook bigger fish than that, I would say salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon..... Just depends on what you want to go for and if you've got the gear to handle it.

M
Moe
I agree with autofisher, get into some bass, and there is always carp.

K
Kais
Ya i don't mean to be a newb, but is there bass in the Columbia (From the dock), and where can i get info on bass fishing. I have been fishing trout all my life, i like it, but i want to try something new.

A
autofisher
Yeah, there are bass in the Columbia. In the Willamette, and a lot of the lakes that aren't up on the mountains. Check the bass forums and see if there are any posts for the area that you live in and give those a shot.

H
halibuthitman
steelhead suck.. I suggest no one ever get into it.. they don't bite, always burned out and un-edible and if you catch one it will probably be a nate... stick to the ponds, trout are always hungry... steelheaders are mentally ill people... don't become one of us.. um I mean them, never ever go steelheading.. seriously.. I mean it..

S
Swamp Puppy
hard to beat Bass for being scrappy fighters for their size. Carp can be fun if you just want to tussle with something that pulls hard. Sturgeon are good fun too...even a day catching shakers (undersized fish) can be a hoot.

for pure adrenaline pumpin' fun though.... you can't beat the first 60 seconds of a tuna fight.

F
fishnquest
halibuthitman said:
steelhead suck.. I suggest no one ever get into it.. they don't bite, always burned out and un-edible and if you catch one it will probably be a nate... stick to the ponds, trout are always hungry... steelheaders are mentally ill people... don't become one of us.. um I mean them, never ever go steelheading.. seriously.. I mean it..

Yeah. what he said.