How I smoke and can salmon

E
eugene1
Thought I would try to give some ideas to people too.

I got lots of fish this year and I enjoy smoking it. If you do a big batch, it's hard to use it unless you freeze it or give a bunch away. I thought I'd try canning it out and it turns out great. The smoke, salt, and salmon flavor are kind of amped up a bit when you can it.

here's how I do it.
First get your fish thawed out. You can do it overnight at room temp, or put it in a bucket of warm water for an hour or so.

thaw2.jpg

this batch consisted of maybe 6 pounds of fish. There were nooks from the Umpqua, and Tilly. Also some coho from Siltcoos and the Siuslaw.

four2.jpg
Nehalem nook:
neh3.jpg
Ump nook:
ump.jpg
Slaw ho:
slaw ho.jpg
Siltcoos ho:
silt fish2.jpg

Next I brine them in a wet brine for 1 or 2 hours. I use 1.6 cups of non-iodized salt, 0.5 cups brown sugar, 0.33 cups maple syrup, and 0.75 cups of lemon juice concentrate in one gallon of the EUG's best tap water. I like the wet brine since it works so fast, compared to the dry brines. I stir it every 10 minutes or so and push the fish down under the liquid.

brine6.jpg

Now I dry the fish out on racks in front of a box fan for an hour or so. I do this in the garage to keep cats, bees, and other critters away from the product.

drying2.jpg

I'm kind of cheap and don't like to waste the resource, so I also smoke up the meat that's on the bones! Although I do pull the fins off before putting the meat into the jars.

Turn your smoker on while the fish is drying out. I don't add any smoke yet. When the fish is dry load the racks into the smoker. It doesn't have to be super dry. I have the smoker set hot like 150 degrees. add your chips or smoker pucks. I smoke it for about 1.5-2 hours. It takes less time since your canning it later. The canning process intensifies the flavor and cooks it, so you don't need to smoke it as long. this picture is of some willy summer steelhead, so they're not as red as the salmon. The lighting was too dark to get a good pic of the salmon last night.

1fcmj6.jpg

Now pack the half-done smoked goodness into jars. I leave the skin on since it provides good nutrients to the oil. Some guys remove it first, and other guys eat it (I just peel the meat off). I follow the guidelines that came with the canning set up. Get the air out and leave some room on top. I process it for 110 minutes at 11 pounds.

canning2.jpg

After it's done the jars will to seal up when you remove them. pint size jars are good for quantity, but the half pints are good for giving as gifts or for a lunch. Canned fish is messier to eat than regular smoked fish, but it lasts a lot longer, tastes better, and is a moister product.

done2.jpg

Good luck!

Reactions: rogerdodger and Irishrover
S
SALTYFISH
Awesome I been wondering how to do this.

W
waco
That looks yummy!!! Thanks for the post

N
normanbeats
you gave me a good ide for a smoker also. I have some lumber and and might have an old stove laying out in the garage..

E
eugene1
Thanks for the interest. I got a shipping crate from work and my dad and i got it set up, mostly the old man tho, norman. So you don't need to use your lumber if you can get some wood box for free/cheap. Although I do like home built stuff quite a bit. Be careful about treated lumber in your smoker, I hear it's toxic.

I got one of the grates from a guy I met dumping a stove at the glenwood dump. The other one is from my own stove... Tried to get another grate at the lane co. dump last month from some ovens at the exit, but the lady said that's a no go. oh well, I'll get another dedicated smoker grate at some point.

I forgot to mention on the post that you might want to do late summer steelies separate from salmon. the steel are a bit drier and tend to get overcooked with the salmon. They turn out good if cooked on their own though you just need to smoke them for less time on the smoker.

Last edited:
B
bernduffy
Great posts. Thanks!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Thought I would try to give some ideas to people too.

eugene1- thanks for taking the time to post this with lots of details and pictures, I am doing off-season info gathering; we are planning to start smoking/canning salmon next May when we start tagging a bunch of Umpqua Chinooks.......your post is very helpful...cheers, roger

E
eugene1
rogerdodger said:
eugene1- thanks for taking the time to post this with lots of details and pictures, I am doing off-season info gathering; we are planning to start smoking/canning salmon next May when we start tagging a bunch of Umpqua Chinooks.......your post is very helpful...cheers, roger

No problem roger, Let me know if you need help bringing in those springer down there!

B
billfisher
Very good info, thanks for sharing.

Irishrover
Irishrover
That brine sounds good. I'm a wee bit lazy, we get the fish ready to can, skin on as you mention then add one table spoon of salt, one of vinigar, and one of olive oil. Here is where I get lazy and cheet, I add liquid smoke into the jar then off to the canner. 10lbs at 90 min. I must say that you product is most likely a lot better with real time in the smoker and your brine. Great post and swell pictures.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
No I got that mixed up it's 10lbs for 90 minutes is what I meant. Boy 10 minutes would not be a good idea at all! I like the looks of that smoker. Now that I'm retired I should take the time and go back to usuing a smoker and toss the liquid out.

C_Run
C_Run
I totally missed this thread until now. Thanks. If I ever get enough extra fish ahead, I'm going to try this. Got the smoker, the jars, and the pressure cooker for when the time comes.