How has Newport been crabbing?

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I am going to head out in Yaquina bay tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has any reports to share? I’m taking my 5 year old son out so I’m hoping we can get some keepers for him. It’s been a very off year in Yaquina bay. Maybe I can find a big lingcod for him to help me reel in also. Thanks everyone!

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I went out Saturday early with my son and lab to keep me company. We pumped some sand shrimp then launched the boat at about 9 am. I dumped 3 pots the headed off to find some fish. Fishing for striped perch was red hot with fish every cast for the first 6 casts. Ended up catching 16 perch and one greenling between my son and I. Looked for some lingcod but did not have any luck. Crabbing is still very slow, we ended up with 5 dungies and 3 quality red rock crabs for hours of soaking with good bait.

• 4FE3526A-0524-4C1A-921B-50100B55D0D7.jpeg
Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
Well done! Did your son love it?

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Anatoliy said:
Well done! Did your son love it?
Yeah he was stoked! He goes out in the drift boat with me quite a bit. He was having a lot of fun with big perch on ultralight gear.

Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
O. mykiss said:
Yeah he was stoked! He goes out in the drift boat with me quite a bit. He was having a lot of fun with big perch on ultralight gear.

Good job, daddy! (y)

P
playhooky
Nice job in the Perch patch! A buddy and I hit Newport Bay on Friday the 7th for crab only. Dumped 5 pots between us with a mix of chicken parts and chunks of shad at 9. Pulled the string 3 times in a little over 3 hours and put 24 nice Dungeness in the box. High tide was at 11:35. Windy and cold (36 degrees to start off) but conditions kinda went unnoticed after the first pot full of crab came up. Cheers!

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
playhooky said:
Nice job in the Perch patch! A buddy and I hit Newport Bay on Friday the 7th for crab only. Dumped 5 pots between us with a mix of chicken parts and chunks of shad at 9. Pulled the string 3 times in a little over 3 hours and put 24 nice Dungeness in the box. High tide was at 11:35. Windy and cold (36 degrees to start off) but conditions kinda went unnoticed after the first pot full of crab came up. Cheers!
Nice job on the crab! I probably should have pulled my pots and freshened up the bait but the area I fish is a bit of a run to where I crab. It’s really hard to do both crabbing and fishing well. I think next time I will spend more time crabbing since I have enough perch for fish tacos for awhile now!