How does one handle stolen gear on craiglist?

J
JeannaJigs
I found some of my stuff on craigslist, So far just my box of plugs and some spinners. But that's about $400 of gear. I want to call the number, but I know i'm gonna lose my ****. I never thought I'd actually find any of it, and now that I have...I just have violent rage building up and anxiety.

How would one approach this scenario?

in a bit I'll be calling the sheriff with my case number and seeing about that...but..until then...just curious.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I dont know how to handle the situation, but maybe having Andy pay the guy a visit might be a better way of getting your stuff back. For some reason I'm thinking the authorities wont be much help, but who knows...

Good luck!

T
tomriker
that's a nice spread of gear!

T
TTFishon
This is going to get interesting. Keep us updated.

T
TTFishon
Have you checked your FB messages lately? I've sent you a bunch of CL adds including this one. I think there's one with a back pack too.

T
Toyracer38
Hope the Sheriff can help ya out and nail this clown! Good luck!

W
wozniasm
I'd contact the Sheriff and see if they can set up a sting or give you some options.
Need to hurry before it gets sold!

Reactions: OnTheFly
J
JeannaJigs
If you live in Lane County and are in the mood for some criminal activity....today is the day to do it, with only 2 deputies on duty for the entire county. I called, they can't do anything, the recomendation was to meet the guy in EPD jurisdiction, check out the stuff, and THEN call EPD, and they MIGHT come out. So I had Andy call the number and he was told the person selling the stuff is out, so he's going to try again later. The plan is...I'm not sure what the plan is yet, but I told Andy one of his spinners was involved and that there was a beer reward, so he's got my back lol. Kinda dissapointed with the county, the lady basically said to use my head and not get killed, but that I'd likely be on my own on this one. It's good to know some guys that don't give a funk and will step up lol

C
ChezJfrey
JeannaJigs said:
If you live in Lane County and are in the mood for some criminal activity....today is the day to do it, with only 2 deputies on duty for the entire county. I called, they can't do anything, the recomendation was to meet the guy in EPD jurisdiction, check out the stuff, and THEN call EPD, and they MIGHT come out. So I had Andy call the number and he was told the person selling the stuff is out, so he's going to try again later. The plan is...I'm not sure what the plan is yet, but I told Andy one of his spinners was involved and that there was a beer reward, so he's got my back lol. Kinda dissapointed with the county, the lady basically said to use my head and not get killed, but that I'd likely be on my own on this one. It's good to know some guys that don't give a funk and will step up lol

Given that description of the LE response, are you sure you aren't in Lame county?

B
b70turner
Always best to get all of the facts to law enforcement as quickly as possible, and to make sure that you DO NOT shoot*, or even threaten, the jerk who stole your stuff. no question that $400 in gear is worth some rage when it is stolen, but it isn't worth jail time, or worse - getting sued for everything by the type of bloodsucking leech who would steal it in the first place. I hope that you can motivate someone at the Sheriff's office to go out and make an easy collar.

*This message brought to you by someone who would feel like shooting someone for stealing $400 worth of his good gear.

N
ninja2010
i'd call up the seller, find out where he's located, go with andy (or chuck norris) and act really interested in purchasing. probe and ask if he's got more stuff (your stuff). have him/her/it show you. if the rest of your stuff is not there, ask if he knows anyone else who might have fishing gear to sell, etc. (fish for leads...) be nice, haggle and bargain... then say you'll return with more cash.

if you can prove the stuff's yours (without any doubt) then i'd have the authorities (undercover) follow you on the next trip, and when he pulls out all your stuff - game over!

hobster
hobster
I doubt the authorities will do anything to help. Eugene is so understaffed and broke right now the police won't come out for anything except serious crimes. I know how hard it would be to check the stuff out without losing your cool, i know i'd blow my top and it would get ugly. You should have a friend check it out like ninja2010 said and maybe go back with a couple of big dudes and just take your stuff? I'm not sure what i would do myself but it might not be very peaceful. I live near you, pm me if you need any help, i know some buddies who would love to help.

J
JeannaJigs
Well dude still isn't home. The plan is to go with Andy and have him fish around to see about the rest of my stuff. Then, taking my stuff back...says he's in Springfield. Figures. Hopefully this can be taken care of tonight, my stomach is in knots.

J
john montana
No advice to give, just wanted to say good luck! I hope you get your stuff and the thief gets arrested.

Reactions: wozniasm
troutdude
troutdude
The guy/gal that has your stuff for sale; may NOT be the thief. They may have purchased it from someone else. So, a recon mission like Jimmy suggested is a VERY good idea. Gather information; see if you can meet them where they live; get more details; do they have more for sale; do they know anyone else with gear for sale, etc?

S
steel Head
realy hope you get your gear back and this person gets some bad karma

C
cowboysfan
that really is such a sad situation, you have found your stuff went to the police and they basically tell you sorry for your luck! I hope that what ever you do you get your stuff back, It would be very difficult to maintain composer when you come face to face with them, good luck!

P
PNW Sam
Hoping for the best for you, and that you can get your gear back safely!

Just keep in mind that if S#%$ goes down he most likely knows where you live, which is kind of scary.

S
sts slayer
Atleast you have found your gear and i hope you get it back.

E
eugene1
JJ, please be careful when dealing with this person!

Not sure your gear is worth getting injured or worse over as some of these tweakers are kind of unstable. I also thought maybe this person selling could be innocent and/or clueless, so be kind to them until you guys find out more info.

I think maybe just saying to them "this is my stolen gear, and I've notified the cops" would go a long way towards getting it back immediately?

Anyway, good luck and be safe!