History of the Ugly Stick

troutdude
troutdude
If anyone is interested in the history/development of Shakespeare's Ugly Stick rods...there is a short but good article in this month's Field & Stream.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
My mama beat me with hers, I know that.

G
Griz
I love my ugly sticks !

B
BobbiDollPDX
GraphiteZen said:
My mama beat me with hers, I know that.

We won't talk about what you did with yours. 113.gif

Reactions: Boombollie, halibuthitman and colbypearson
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
BobbiDollPDX said:

Oh damn, rep points right there :D

troutdude
troutdude
BobbiDollPDX said:

Bobbi, you never cease to amaze us, with your quick jabs! :dance: :clap:

Reactions: colbypearson
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Ugly Sticks are tough rods, I remember their old TV commercials back in the 80's - and their lifetime unbreakable guarantee. My dad bought one back then - a little 4'6" ultra light. Still has it today, and it's still just about all he fishes with when he goes fishing. He also bought two bigger ones for catfishing years ago. I had a 6' heavy action ugly stick caster for a long time - but "outgrew it" in favor of lighter, fancier graphite rods. I do admit - the Ugly Stick Lite rods are tempting for some applications.

A
Amberjack
Our experience with Shakespeare Ugly Sticks have not been favorable in saltwater fishing. Early Ugly sticks did not have the rod finish applied under the guide foot, so consequently the guides were prone to rust at the foot. This has been changed on the newer models. We have also had problems with the butt breaking just below the rod seat. This occurs when a tuna hits the rod in a rod holder. These rods are rated in the 60 -80lb class. The warranty from the retail shop is only 90 days.

Reactions: halibuthitman and BobbiDollPDX
H
halibuthitman
Amberjack said:
Our experience with Shakespeare Ugly Sticks have not been favorable in saltwater fishing. Early Ugly sticks did not have the rod finish applied under the guide foot, so consequently the guides were prone to rust at the foot. This has been changed on the newer models. We have also had problems with the butt breaking just below the rod seat. This occurs when a tuna hits the rod in a rod holder. These rods are rated in the 60 -80lb class. The warranty from the retail shop is only 90 days.
I would have to say this is a fair assesment of the commercial sport value, but they are definitely a lifetime rod to the average joe.. and he can even afford to buy one!

A
Amberjack
halibuthitman said:
I would have to say this is a fair assesment of the commercial sport value, but they are definitely a lifetime rod to the average joe.. and he can even afford to buy one!

Agree 100%.

M
mastercaster
I bought an 8ft 6 med heavy casting ugly stik lite this year . using it with my garcia tgc5001c and 10lb hi vis green maxima . I have caught 2 steels with it this year and hooked 2 or 3 others also a 18 inch rainbow stocker . I have caught steels on sage and other high end rods and I wouldnt try to say the ugly is better but I will say it is the funnest rod I have caught fish on . Plenty of backbone excellent sensitivity and a price your average working joe can afford . I love mine so far see ya . mc