High lake question

S
smoky
Im looking for a high elevation lake that i can take my 18ft deep hull boat and do some trolling for trout. Anyone have any suggestions. I know a few but there not big enough.

O
OnTheFly
Clear Lake Mt Hood, Timothy Lake, Big Lava Lake, East Lake and Paulina Lake, Odell Lake, Crescent Lake, Crane Prairie, Wickiup............

T
twout
High lake question

OMG,please don't try Clear Lake. This is an irrigation impoundment that was in enlarged in the 50's to meet demands and the dam is only 44feet high. Maximum depth is 22 feet, a full pool in A REALLY GOOD WATER/ SNOW year is around 35ft early season. We are not in a good year for water storage. Trolling success is restricted by seasonal drawdown to meet water needs, currently we have big needs. Bottom is relatively flat so mean depth is around 15.6 feet. Shallows have some great submerged stumps and a lot of them. If you want to be on the watch the whole time go have fun and enjoy. Timothy is low this year but I haven't been in a month or so,not sure if the Pine Point launch is still useable for you. But at 80 feet deep it would be a better choice. Don't mean to start an argument but just my own advice.

Troutski
Troutski
Greenpeter Res...

Greenpeter Res...

Greenpeter is fairly close to you, nice and deep with plenty of coves to escape the pm wind. Trout, Landlocked Chinook, Kokes and all the warm water species... Rather large lake and can be deceiving once the wind kicks up, your craft shouldn't have a problem. Mark where the boat ramp is located as you leave the arm, that will come in handy when you return at the end of your day.
Best of luck and enjoy the water...

Chuck

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
if you are looking for high elevation, Odell is your best bet, kokanee and big lake trout. GP is closer to you and has hatchery rainbows but is lower elevation and lake level could be dropping quickly now...

J
JeannaJigs
Since you're wanting something at a high elevation that is large boat friendly, I'd recommend wickiup, the kokannee this year are averaging around 19", and there's a healthy population of browns and bows

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

A
Ammodog
East lake has 5 boat ramps most have docks that sit 5 feet off the bottom (floating). Fishing has been fantastic. Best view for a boat is Lava Lake nice boat launch and you sit right in the mountain views. Rainbows are running 13-24 inches

O
OnTheFly
twout said:
OMG,please don't try Clear Lake. This is an irrigation impoundment that was in enlarged in the 50's to meet demands and the dam is only 44feet high. Maximum depth is 22 feet, a full pool in A REALLY GOOD WATER/ SNOW year is around 35ft early season. We are not in a good year for water storage. Trolling success is restricted by seasonal drawdown to meet water needs, currently we have big needs. Bottom is relatively flat so mean depth is around 15.6 feet. Shallows have some great submerged stumps and a lot of them. If you want to be on the watch the whole time go have fun and enjoy. Timothy is low this year but I haven't been in a month or so,not sure if the Pine Point launch is still useable for you. But at 80 feet deep it would be a better choice. Don't mean to start an argument but just my own advice.
My son and I fished Clear Lake on Fathers Day and did well. Both of us caught 9 rainbows a piece in the 3 hours we were there. It was low but not the lowest I've fished it. Clear Lake has always fished good for me and never a skunk. If you can catch it during the incredible calibeatis hatch, then you're in for a treat. The fish are strong and fight hard and if you're lucky you might catch some of the big ones. May through June is the best time but later in the summer it gets drawn down to practically nothing. But don't right it off as a non fishing destination. Trust me.

T
twout
OnTheFly said:
My son and I fished Clear Lake on Fathers Day and did well. Both of us caught 9 rainbows a piece in the 3 hours we were there. It was low but not the lowest I've fished it. Clear Lake has always fished good for me and never a skunk. If you can catch it during the incredible calibeatis hatch, then you're in for a treat. The fish are strong and fight hard and if you're lucky you might catch some of the big ones. May through June is the best time but later in the summer it gets drawn down to practically nothing. But don't right it off as a non fishing destination. Trust me.

Oh, did you do it in a 18ft deep hull boat?

O
OnTheFly
twout said:
Oh, did you do it in a 18ft deep hull boat?

No, we were in pontoon boats but there were boats that size in the water when we were there. Like I said, there is plenty of water to go around early in the season but later in the summer they draw it down to almost nothing.