Help tying tippet

R
rchandler
Hello everyone,

So I'm having some issues... I have a 5x leader and am tying a 5x tippet to it. I used an improved surgeons knot and it seemed quite tight. When I went fishing last week, I lost two flies to fish that I know weren't very big. The tippet pulled right off the leader. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Rick

C
ChezJfrey
Perhaps you're not tying it quite right? I know a surgeon's easier and quicker to tie than a blood knot, but maybe switch to blood and see how it goes for you? Who knows, maybe you will just happen to find that you tie that knot better.

S
Spydeyrch
I have never had an issue with my surgeon's knots coming un-done. I usually do a triple surgeon's knot. Also, make sure that you get the lines/knot wet before you cinch it up. Saliva is a great lubricant for these things. And when you go to tighten it up, don't pull them together slowly. You should do a nice quick snug-up to tighten it. Don't jerk it but it should be snug and quick and firm. Then I usualy go and pull each tag end individually, together with the line ends. Also, I use my thumb nail to push the coils together if they don't seem to be cinching down correctly. That should help.

Good luck! :)

-Spydey

F
FishFinger
Blood knots are my goto tippet knots

R
rchandler
Thanks everyone, I'll give these suggestions a try this weekend.

S
SteelyStalker12
I took a video and posted it to youtube, I hope the video works for everyone!!!

-Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: waco
R
rchandler
Awesome video Joe!! Thank you very much.

F
fredaevans
One other option is to get 'tippet rings,' depending upon the test of the leader you're using go for either a 2mm or a 3mm. Where you typically see these used is on the end of 'Furled Leaders.' End game is you tie one these on with 'clinch knot' and you add your leader from there. Extra benefit is these things make putting on a dropper leader for a two fly set up.

If you need to change out the tippet bit just snip it off at the ring and tie on a fresh run.

Fred

F
fredaevans
Furled Leaders.

Furled Leaders.

If you've never used one they're the 'Bee's Knees;' lay out as straight as a stick. Google 'Furlgirl' her's are excellent, I even use these things on spey rods up to a six weight.

R
rchandler
SteelyStalker12 said:
I took a video and posted it to youtube, I hope the video works for everyone!!!
-Joe

Just gave this knot a shot. Works great! Going to give it a good test tomorrow morning at Hagg Lake.