Help picking my first salmon gear ever

M
MonMouth James
So i have 0 idea about salmon fishing. Aside from 1 pike trip in canada and catch and release bass in my friends pond (his parents have a bass infested pond on their 80 acres) I have only ever been trout fishing. For both bass and pike, i used other peoples gear. So i need help. It needs to be cheap, not because i am a cheapskate, but i am only 20, getting married, working part time, and my (soon to be) wife is attending her final year at Western Oregon University. So money is a little tight. I only need it to last a year or two, then i would be able to upgrade to better stuff. I just want something that will help me get introduced to salmon fishing. Under 100 for rod and reel is a must (together, not each).

F
FishSchooler
MonMouth James said:
So i have 0 idea about salmon fishing. Aside from 1 pike trip in canada and catch and release bass in my friends pond (his parents have a bass infested pond on their 80 acres) I have only ever been trout fishing. For both bass and pike, i used other peoples gear. So i need help. It needs to be cheap, not because i am a cheapskate, but i am only 20, getting married, working part time, and my (soon to be) wife is attending her final year at Western Oregon University. So money is a little tight. I only need it to last a year or two, then i would be able to upgrade to better stuff. I just want something that will help me get introduced to salmon fishing. Under 100 for rod and reel is a must (together, not each).

Welcome to OFF!

If you arent talking about coho, there is an Abu Garcia Salmon combo everywhere I've been for 99.99 (maybe less). Its a good rod and reel, and there are plenty at Dick's sporting goods.
For a coho rod/reel, there are cheaper combos. A steelhead rod/reel will work. There is a combo that i have (and like) that is $40. It's made by Shakespeare and is the Inspinity combo. It's online, but that last store I saw it at was Joe's, which is sadly gone. If you find that in stores, get the largest reel size.

For the Abu Garcia salmon rod combo (use it for chinook), fill it with 25 lb Maxima UG and get some 20 lb Maxima UG for leader.
On a coho rod, 12 maxima UG and a small spool of 8 lb maxima UG for leader (this will work for coho and steelhead).

As for all the terminal gear and lures/baits, get size 2 or one for coho, larger for chinook. If you are drift fishing (cast out, and let the whole rig/bait flow with the current tapping the bottom a few times), get an assorment of split shot weights. Along with some strong/high quality black barrel swivels and assorments of size 10 and 12 corkies in all kinds of colors.. If you are fishing spinners (one of the most common lures used), coho will take size 3 and 4 blue foxes (a brand), chinook will take size 4 and above.

Hope this helps!

T
Troutier Bassier
Like FishSchooler said That Abu Garcia comba costs $70.00 at Walmart.

M
MonMouth James
FishSchooler said:
Welcome to OFF!

If you arent talking about coho, there is an Abu Garcia Salmon combo everywhere I've been for 99.99 (maybe less). Its a good rod and reel, and there are plenty at Dick's sporting goods.
For a coho rod/reel, there are cheaper combos. A steelhead rod/reel will work. There is a combo that i have (and like) that is $40. It's made by Shakespeare and is the Inspinity combo. It's online, but that last store I saw it at was Joe's, which is sadly gone. If you find that in stores, get the largest reel size.

For the Abu Garcia salmon rod combo (use it for chinook), fill it with 25 lb Maxima UG and get some 20 lb Maxima UG for leader.
On a coho rod, 12 maxima UG and a small spool of 8 lb maxima UG for leader (this will work for coho and steelhead).

As for all the terminal gear and lures/baits, get size 2 or one for coho, larger for chinook. If you are drift fishing (cast out, and let the whole rig/bait flow with the current tapping the bottom a few times), get an assorment of split shot weights. Along with some strong/high quality black barrel swivels and assorments of size 10 and 12 corkies in all kinds of colors.. If you are fishing spinners (one of the most common lures used), coho will take size 3 and 4 blue foxes (a brand), chinook will take size 4 and above.

Hope this helps!

Thank You! This actually was very helpful. If I can find the Abu Garcia for 70 i will jump on it for sure! I also am sad about Joe's being gone. Thank you also for the tackle info, that was going to be my next question.

Also is it possible to use the heavier line for coho, steelhead, and chinook? I want to try my hand at all three but don't really want to hassle with changing line on the reel.
Is this the abu garcia combo you both were talking about?
Walmart.com: Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 7000i Combo: Fishing & Boating

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Yes I think that is it!
15 should be fine for all three speicies, but a large chinook might be tough to land.
If you dont know how to use a baitcaster (pain in the ... sometimes when you mess up), buy the cheapest line you can get to practice. People selling the fishing equipment most likely will help you learn how to cast.
But if you want to drift fish, a spinning reel will help. A rod/reel for all three will be tough.

T
Troutier Bassier
Thats not the one that they sell in my Walmart.
The rod is Cork Handled which I think is better cause it gives you more Sensitivity.

M
MonMouth James
Troutier Bassier said:
Thats not the one that they sell in my Walmart.
The rod is Cork Handled which I think is better cause it gives you more Sensitivity.

I can (and probably will) get different set ups for them in the future, i just don't want to dump a bunch of money on 2-3 set ups and never use one or both of them.

EDIT: That is also one of the reasons i was looking at that rod and reel from cabelas. I have never used a baitcaster, and a spinning reel with extra spools would make changing line much easier.

L
luv2fish
any cheap rod and reel at walmart...anything over 7 feet and lil bit stiff will help you get a hands on training and hopefully catch one.....its the terminal gear which is important ( the leader part with bait or lure )....means if the fish like your offering....

first things first....if you can make a fish bite ...rod and line everything comes later......i believe a decent 7-8 foot rod with not so decent fishing reel ( like you said...should last a year or two )..you can get for 40 bcks or so...

I've caught 4 silvers on walmart brand MAKO....it was a spin combo for 35 bucks..... i believe it served its purpose.....i spooled it wth 15 lb mono...casted spinners ( very rarely i catch on spinners )....drifted ( which is my favourite )....and although being stiff, you know when you have something on the other end....no rocket science...