Hello you chubby beautiful lil girl you!

F
Finneus Polebender
OnTheFly said:
Sooooo........the lip grip calms the fish down?

they do tend to calm down rapidly when held that way , Colby is right about the bigguns , only real spines are the dorsal , but the main reason for me in most cases is like most fish they have a slime coating that can be damaged so the less handling along the body the better and they just wont slip out of your hands as easy with a finger or a thumb under the lip

Badfish
Badfish
Nice looking fish!

O
OnTheFly
Hey thanks for the clarification guys. You never know the things that could happen while fishing an olive crystal bugger!

brandon4455
brandon4455
crazy
stuff. ive had takes like that while bank fishing with inline spinners and spinnerbaits. but sometimes they see me and turn around. it pisses me off Lol

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
tomriker said:
wouldn't you need a pretty big fly to catch a big one? those hooks seem so small! tie a fly with a 3/0 hook lol then you'd be doin it right :)

Not at all - if I'm getting crazy and fishing dries for bass (and chances are, I'm usually really targetting gillies, but will go for bass too if I know they're there) - I go with flies in sizes 8 and 10. Like I said - think of it as the fish snacking on something like an M&M - a size 8 or 10 hook will easily sink into the jaw of any bass - it's more of an issue of tippet strength, and keeping the fish from turning and running into heavy cover, and breaking you off or wrapping your line around an under-water stump or something.

Then again - if you wanted to - you could fish a stone fly or a big moth on a size 4 or 6 hook - bass will eat those too. Those are much easier to cast w/ a 6+ weight rod - which is more bass-appropriate anyway. With a 4 or 6 size fly, you can use an 8lb leader and be fine.