Hello Willamette people.

E
Enginear
Hi everyone!

I figured I would introduce myself here since this will be the most likely zone I will be fishing.

I landed here in Veneta Oregon 2 days ago from St. Louis Missouri. Growing up in St. Louis my dad would take me fishing often usually for catfish. Up until this summer I had only bait fished. Somehow I got the urge to learn about bass fishing and found myself fishing 3-5 days a week. Needless to say, any kind of fishing, I am hooked.

I figured I would introduce myself and say Hi since I was browsing the forums. Perhaps meet a couple people and maybe make some new friends. I personally find fishing more enjoyable with others. There is satisfaction in failing together, or winning and losing :) I am not a super knowledged guy on fishing, I simply enjoy it. I'm 41 years old and starting to figure out enjoying life is way better than working my butt off al the time.

I think my first stop will be Fern Ridge since it is close to home. I am happy to hear any suggestions. Especially being keen to your parking and fishing regulations. The parking permit threw me for a loop.

Thanks for running an awesome forum all. And if anyone needs a fishing buddy sometime, feel free to hit me up.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Welcome to Oregon and OFF!

I don't know much about fern ridge but you're pretty close to some great bobber and spinner fishing for salmon on lake creek and the siuslaw.

Feel free to reach out if you want to give salmon fishing a try. I like to go up to triangle lake and work my way down to fishable waters of lake creek from there.

Good luck out there.

L
lizzay
Welcome to the forum. Im new here myself and have been learning a lot from these guys. Im from California, 35 years old and have been in this wonderful state since May. Im in Portland so we are a couple hours or so away but next I head down that way I'll give you a hollar. Maybe we can figure salmon fishing together! I too enjoy fishing with others but dont have any fishing buddies as of yet.

E
eugene1
Welcome here.

E
Enginear
Hi Jami,

I have to admit, I know nothing about fishing in this region. I knew it was different from the midwest but your mention of fishing for salmon was intriguing.

I watched a couple of youtube videos to get a feel for bobber fishing for salmon and I can definitely see the attraction. I wanted to dig a little deeper, I wanted to learn about salmon as a species and watched this PBS special.

WOW. What a fish :) I am not sure I am ready to fish for one myself, but I would be glad to understand more about your area and how you do approach salmon fishing. I'd be glad to tag along and learn any time.

Thanks again for the welcome.

E
Enginear
Hi Lizzay,

Not sure I am up for salmon fishing, however, if you are down this way, let me know :)

T
TimberTodd
Welcome to OFF.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Welcome and you have landed right in the middle of fishing central, draw a "1 hour drive" circle around Veneta and just OFF the top of my head you have:

Coastal systems that fish from tidewater up to small streams and tributaries (Umpqua, Siuslaw, Alsea), just east you have the upper Willamette and McKenzie, big reservoirs include Foster, Green Peter and Odell, coastal lakes full of bass and perch and they get loaded with trout in the spring and a couple are about to fill with coho, lots of smaller lakes here and there...

holy cow, go get'em and don't hesitate to ask questions about the regulations, they can seems a bit complex but really aren't that bad...cheers, roger

P
plumb2fish
Once you catch your first anadromous fish, you'll only fish for them ditch pickles(bass) to kill time between runs...
Welcome, to the forum and the PNW. Feel free to hit me up if you want to try your hand at catching one of these FB_IMG_1443921112837.jpgFB_IMG_1434856746415.jpg

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Welcome to OFF! Great people make great forums and we have many great people here!

Cheers,

Chris

T
taconight2night
Well howdy doody! I live in Eugene and am addicted to finding new spots and chasing tail. Hit me up if you want to explore :peace: