Hello OFF members

L
LuckyHooker
I recenlty moved here from southern california and will only be here for another month or two. After reading some forums it seems like a pretty cool group, and is very similar to this site called bloodydecks which im also a member of in San Diego, anyways im gonna be fishing leaburg tomorrow with my fiance and a couple friends i dont have a boat and fish spinners and bait. Since ive never fish the lake before i was hoping someone could help me with some pointer about the lake like what spots are good to fish from the shore, i dont mind treking around to find some fish, i was looking to target trout, and some steelers if possible? Anything would help.

T
TTFishon
LuckyHooker said:
I recenlty moved here from southern california and will only be here for another month or two. After reading some forums it seems like a pretty cool group, and is very similar to this site called bloodydecks which im also a member of in San Diego, anyways im gonna be fishing leaburg tomorrow with my fiance and a couple friends i dont have a boat and fish spinners and bait. Since ive never fish the lake before i was hoping someone could help me with some pointer about the lake like what spots are good to fish from the shore, i dont mind treking around to find some fish, i was looking to target trout, and some steelers if possible? Anything would help.

Welcome to OFF. Last year I caught my limit in about a half an hour right off the main hwy where the last tree grows near the dam using powerbait on the bottom. Good luck.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to Off and Oregon...

Welcome to Off and Oregon...

Leaburg is a great place to spend the day, I recommend driving across the dam and passing the congestion as you cross; keep going straight you will come to EWEB park. Park on the left hand side (that would be East) and walk into the park,you will find tables trails and you end up at the lake nestled in the trees on the west shore line. Power bait, worms on the bottom or toss your spinners and spoons underhand and work them back toward the tree line. Early morning and evenings seem to be the best.
Not that you can't catch fish from the road side of the lake, but the sound of all the cars and trucks kind of put a damper on the experience. Take your camera and on the way out after a day of relaxing stop by the Leaburg Fish Hatchery on the down stream side of the dam. They have a viewing pond there just for the pleasure of the fish, you can buy some fish food pellets and bring those 10 lb Trout right to the surface. There are also Sturgeon in those ponds....have a great time and don't forget your camera...

Chuck

L
LuckyHooker
Fished

Fished

I fished the eastside shoreline of leaburg near the dam today for a couple hours today came up short. Then stop at a boat ramp about ten min. down the hwy on the way home and hook a tiny cutthroat and a little rainbow. Seemed everyone was gettin the smaller guys today. Nice day out, to crowed for me but all and all it felt good to get my line in the water. Hey troutski I noticed your from springfeild. Im in the same area. Are there any other spots close you like to fish or are doing well right now. I really would like to get into some bigger fish?

S
Stoods
I have to agree with Troutski - get away from the highway! EWEB park is nice - if you get there in the early morning / evening, odds are you won't see more than a couple other people. Oh, and it's free.

I find that the current and trees make bank-casting problematic. Just look at the trees if you ever make it out there, and you'll see spoons and other lures hanging from the trees like fruit.

I've caught many a fish from the bank, however, using power bait sitting off the bottom w/ an anchor. The key is to find a deeper spot or a place where you can cast reasonably far out.

I only have a canoe, so I haven't taken any boat out onto the lake/river itself near the dam, but I see people killing them out toward the middle. Not sure what exactly they're fishing with - maybe something similar to plugs for steelhead?

Troutski
Troutski
Other places...

Other places...

LuckyHooker said:
I fished the eastside shoreline of leaburg near the dam today for a couple hours today came up short. Then stop at a boat ramp about ten min. down the hwy on the way home and hook a tiny cutthroat and a little rainbow. Seemed everyone was gettin the smaller guys today. Nice day out, to crowed for me but all and all it felt good to get my line in the water. Hey troutski I noticed your from springfeild. Im in the same area. Are there any other spots close you like to fish or are doing well right now. I really would like to get into some bigger fish?

You could try the 42nd street and 126 area, park on the hwy while heading west and hop the guard rail. Providing the river isn't running to full this section can be very productive for Steel,Salmon and of course Rainbows. Fly or lures work best due to the current, if the water is at a decent level you can wade out in to the river and get a great swing on streamers...very productive.
Bellingers Boat ramp near Camp Creek is pretty easy access, although the parking can be frustrating. Kastmasters and other spoons work well here due to the bed rock, the Steel Head love those holes and crevasses.
Another popular place that has been kind to me is Harvest Lane boat ramp, nice gravel bar and back eddy readily available...dry fly and a trailer nymph seem to work rather well.
Now if you really want to smack the Trout try the Willy above Jasper, in my opinion this river is far more productive than the Mac; for my target fish anyway. Do you have access to a magic carpet - boat,toon or such?
Hope this helps...take care and use caution while on the water...a ton of floating debris coming down stream.

Chuck

L
LuckyHooker
Leaburg round 2

Leaburg round 2

Fished yesterday got to lake around 10:00. My fiancee pick up this raft from walmart for 25 bucks thought it would be fun to fish off of. Funny we went from a $13,000 chris craft in san diego to a $25 raft. Anyways said *uck it brought the raft up. We fish from shore till we got surrounded by family after family. No problem w/ that just was more then i wanted to deal with. Drop are raft in near the end of the dam tied up to the line. Stop counting after a while. We were surrounded even before they stocked @ around 2:00. Good day, had a good dinner, sorry no pics. Will be on the hunt for the biggins from now on out. Thanks for the heady dope guys. Extra thanks troutski, gonna keep busy hittin those spots up.

T
Troutweiser is lifeblood
Lucky Hooker,

troutski has got many of the boat launch fishing spots 'on lock' so to speak, in other words he is offerin' some great advice for spots to check out.

also, if you head father east on the 126 (past leaburg), you will undoubtedly find all kinds of great spots to fish, you'll likely see them by where people are parked on the side of the road.

a little father east of leaburg is Blue River reservoir as well, lots of good fish and great swimming when the water is a bit warmer in there too!