Heading to Detroit lake, first time from the dam!

D
Dongle79
Hi Everyone , need some input how do I get onto the dam to fish ? also what would you all recommend for bait and hooks ? I've never been on the dam before .
thanks for the info !!

Tight lines !

R
reaper338
wow you got a ton of replys ! lol sorry had to poke ya a little bit , I too am curious as well. hope you get some useful information.

E
Eazy-E
access is easy unless its under construction, you can drive your vehicle across!

Reactions: reaper338
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You can park on either end of the dam. You cannot park on the bridge itself. Anything you would use in lakes or streams will work for bait. Cast as far as you can, count to 10 and set the bail. I've fished there dozens of times, the largest was around 14", so don't expect any monsters. Keep an eye on your vehicle, the highway provides a quick getaway for thieves. That's the main reason we always drove across the dam to park.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
I fished OFF of that dam, also for the first time, a year ago in April. I hauled in a 16" holdover, which felt like a 10 pound steelhead as I was trying to reel it up to the top of the dam. So I was GLAD to have been using 8 pound test line! I saw another one the same size that day.

Last week a friend hauled up an 18 incher. But there was another fisherman with some sort of net on a rope. So it was hauled up using that net. Instead of trying to reel it up.

Reactions: reaper338
R
reaper338
troutdude said:
I fished OFF of that dam, also for the first time, a year ago in April. I hauled in a 16" holdover, which felt like a 10 pound steelhead as I was trying to reel it up to the top of the dam. So I was GLAD to have been using 8 pound test line! I saw another one the same size that day.

Last week a friend hauled up an 18 incher. But there was another fisherman with some sort of net on a rope. So it was hauled up using that net. Instead of trying to reel it up.
do you know what bait he was using ?

troutdude
troutdude
reaper338 said:
do you know what bait he was using ?
No. sorry. And I can't recall what I caught my fish with.

• Haha
Reactions: reaper338 and DOKF