Headin up

B
bigsteel
finally got a day off so im headed up around pine creek bridge......hows the river lookin

B
bigsteel
hit the molalla from 8 to 3 today,,,what a great day to be out..the river looked perfect,,,,,got a nice cutthroat on the fly rod....i was using a purple zonker...:dance::dance:

J
justNorthofya
awesome buddy

R
redhawk50
Nice. Easy wading access by that bridge and parking? Never been but work closest to this river and want to find a place I fish after work when the days get longer.

See any steelhead in the water yet?

Thanks

A
adambomb
redhawk50 said:
Nice. Easy wading access by that bridge and parking? Never been but work closest to this river and want to find a place I fish after work when the days get longer.

See any steelhead in the water yet?

Thanks

Good wading is spotty from Pine creek bridge down, mostly due to steep gradient and big deep holes. With river levels around 12' you may be able to cross if you are brave. There should be some winter steel up there by now, its an all catch and release fishery until trout season opens, and even then you can't keep any trout, only bass until July 1 when you can keep native steelhead.

R
redhawk50
Cool, thanks for the information. I really only fish catch and release, unless I get a hatchery Steelhead, I think I would bonk those because we are supposed to. I am probably going to go check the upper river out on Saturday.
Thanks.

Looking at the regs, is it legal to be targeting cutties right now? I am planning on more focusing on Steelhead but don't feel like paying a fine if I am nymphing for Steelhead and hook into a cuttie? I like following rules so just making sure.

Last edited:
G
Growbug
Nope, its not leagal to be TARGETTING cutthroats , or any 'trout' at the moment. BUT, if you catch one whilst you are targetting steelies, then its fair game, as long as you release it.

R
redhawk50
Freaking flu bug or something made me need to stay close to a toilet all weekend so I didn't get out! Let me guess it was perfect and there were fish everywhere!

A
adambomb
redhawk50 said:
Freaking flu bug or something made me need to stay close to a toilet all weekend so I didn't get out! Let me guess it was perfect and there were fish everywhere!

I fished almost every hole from Pine creek bridge down to the Glen Avon bridge. Didn't even see one roll. Water was pretty low, but still had a nice green tint in the deep holes. Lost one steelheadstalkers jig, but since the water was low, I was able to cross and retrieve my favorite "cop car" TCO spinner I lost two weeks ago!