Have any of you Drop Shotted from the bank

Q
qwapaw
I was just wondering if any of you had drop shotted from the bank, or do you all do it out of a boat. Can a guy cast into a good location and make it work? I have a boat, but don't take it much locally, and would like to try drop shotting. Thanks, Dan :)

F
fenderbender
I really have a lot of fun drop shotting. In open water drop shotting works awesome. I have caught all species, bass, trout, perch, crappie etc.
While on the bank, I have caught a few drop shotting, but it seems to work better in open water. I have a float tube and a pontoon and drop shotting from them is a hoot. You are not sure what you are going to get. I have caught some of my larger trout while drop shotting for bass (in a tournament)
Try dragging it from the bank early in the a.m. and you might be surprised at what you get. Later Bender

J
JASMINE
I dont know about in the river, but I drop shot all the time at Hagg Lake from the bank...usually is a pretty good "go to" when everything else isn't working.

C
cavdad45
Drop-shotting works good from the bank. You just need more leader between hook and weight. Instead of 6-9 inches, I go 18-24 inches depending on how close I am to deep water.

D/S is real good from the dam at Hagg.

Troutski
Troutski
Drop Shoting

Drop Shoting

The only time D/S doesn't work is, er, uh...er. Never mind...

Chuck

C
cavdad45
Troutski said:
The only time D/S doesn't work is, er, uh...er. Never mind...

Chuck

LOL :lol:

It will work on other species, if baited properly....

O
OBP Turtle 33
I hate drop shotting but will do it if that what it takes find a creek channel bend or some sort of drop off near the bank and fish it. I have caught bass casting the drop shot to structure from the bank its kinda of a cool rig but I much prefer power fishing.

Q
qwapaw
Great responces. Just what I wanted to know. I do appreciate the help, even us old guys need to learn new trick. Thanks, D

M
michaelkim9582
what part of hagg lake is good to drop shot?
I went the other day with no luck.

F
FishSchooler
Another idea similar to drop shotting...
Thread a hook or a barrel swivel onto your mainline, no knots so it just slides freely. If it is a swivel, tie a very short or slip on a hook. Then at the bottom of your mainline, add a weight. The weight will go to the bottom, but the hook/bait will fall very very slowly, through all the depths and striking zones, until it hits a split shot, or the bottom.

C
catphish
FishSchooler said:
Another idea similar to drop shotting...
Thread a hook or a barrel swivel onto your mainline, no knots so it just slides freely. If it is a swivel, tie a very short or slip on a hook. Then at the bottom of your mainline, add a weight. The weight will go to the bottom, but the hook/bait will fall very very slowly, through all the depths and striking zones, until it hits a split shot, or the bottom.

While I recognize the effectiveness and benefits of said tactic, I may be missing something, but: wouldnt having a free sliding hook affect the hook-set if you get hit early but have a bait slacking to the bottom? I know my own answer to degrees, "sharp hooks, good set" all that, but still.

N
ninja2010
catphish said:
While I recognize the effectiveness and benefits of said tactic, I may be missing something, but: wouldnt having a free sliding hook affect the hook-set if you get hit early but have a bait slacking to the bottom? I know my own answer to degrees, "sharp hooks, good set" all that, but still.

yeah, your "hookset" would be more like, "yanking weight off bottom", especially if you're dropshotting from a boat (vertical line). might work better if you're casting from shore, but then the bait/hook may not slide...

i think i'll stick to a palomar for my hook. sorry fs, just my take.

F
FishSchooler
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that...