Hatchery Fish

T
TTFishon
steelhead_stalkers said:
Here is a little information about triploid trout. They go through a process of heating the eggs to a certain temperature and an exact time and the fish come out sterile. This means that they swim around and eat year round and never stop. A regular trout has a period in its life when it has to store up energy for the spawning process and that takes energy and they lose weight and their meat gets soft. This happens every year when a trout spawns and over time they just arent as great a fish to eat. It was common back in the day to keep the biggest fish you could catch and release the smaller ones and that is exactly opposite of what you should be doing! Smaller fish have smaller bones and a lot of them dissolve when cooked and larger fish have spawned many times which slowly wears out their body and makes them less tasty. Triploid trout on the other hand never spawn just like a salmon that you eat has never spawned and that is why their meat is so great! Triploid trout in my experience are smarter than their non triploid friends and I believe should be stocked in many of the lakes and ponds around here as they are better to eat and if there is a native species in the lake they wont interfere with their spawning cycles!

Also this process of sterilizing fish happens in the wild but very rarely and many believe that most of the world record caught fish are sterile fish. The world record steelhead was caught out in the ocean I believe, and probably was sterile and never went back to its home waters and that's why it was caught out in the middle of the ocean!

That's interesting. Thanks.