Hartman/Benson Lakes

J
~JM~
Drove out to Exit 30 & walked along the railroad track.

Tossed a Kastmaster & a Roostertail into the water at several locations below the tracks. The only thing that I caught were some underwater weeds & a tree. Lost a Kastmaster to a tree with some abandoned line hanging down that I didn't see.:blushing: Saw about a half dozen fry following my lure several times. They weren't much longer than the lure. There were signs of Beaver activity on several trees along the bank at Benson. One of the trees won't be standing much longer.

I was there from about 10AM to around noon. Don't know if I will return. Not really the type of experience that I'm seeking with the noise from I-84 & the train. Lot of trash on the ground & in the water. Most of it appeared to have been left by people who were fishing.

Any advice for other locations near the Troutdale/Gresham area?

Thanks.

F
Fishpdx
People should respect nature

K
Kage
There's a few spots along the Sandy if you've got the gear for steelhead and salmon. Unless you're looking just for trout I think Salish Pond may or may not be a place to visit. The last I heard was just that there are a lot of questionable people and/or car break-ins but that might have changed. Blue Lake is in the area as well, never been there myself though. Others may have better options that they can share.

J
~JM~
Thanks. I'm just looking to catch some good eating fish for dinner. I don't think my gear is strong enough for salmon sized fish. I have a lightweight rod/reel with 6lb. line.

F
Fishpdx
~JM~ said:
Thanks. I'm just looking to catch some good eating fish for dinner. I don't think my gear is strong enough for salmon sized fish. I have a lightweight rod/reel with 6lb. line.

I mean it is possible to catch a steelhead on 6lbs lightweight rod. Just Sayin.

bass
bass
Have you tried blue lake right there in troutdale? Stocked with trout and has reproducing population of bass and panfish. I have not fished it myself but I do hear the occasional good report.

J
~JM~
Carp said:
I mean it is possible to catch a steelhead on 6lbs lightweight rod. Just Sayin.

Really? I was just assuming that my outfit was too light duty. I don't want to risk losing an injured fish due to not being properly prepared.
My pole is a: 5' SPL 1102 LITE Ugly Stick. The reel is a: Shakespeare LX2500 Ultralite
I mostly like to use various spinning lures.

Thanks

J
~JM~
bass said:
Have you tried blue lake right there in troutdale? Stocked with trout and has reproducing population of bass and panfish. I have not fished it myself but I do hear the occasional good report.

I have not tried Blue Lake. Someone told me that the water quality was poor & that the fish weren't very good/clean to eat.

Thank you

F
Fishpdx
~JM~ said:
Really? I was just assuming that my outfit was too light duty. I don't want to risk losing an injured fish due to not being properly prepared.
My pole is a: 5' SPL 1102 LITE Ugly Stick. The reel is a: Shakespeare LX2500 Ultralite
I mostly like to use various spinning lures.

Thanks

I mean If I was you I wouldn't try it, but I had times when fishing for small trout and I would hook into a steelhead and would land it, but you need to be on bank and away from snags, and also a lot of line on your reel. You have to play the fish until it gets tired, set your drag and work the fish.

B
bassman503
The trout are fine to eat.

P
PTownAngler
The water in Blue Lake is not very clean. I would never even even swim in that water let alone eat a fish from it. That place closes down periodically because the water is so contaminated. There's been a few reports of people getting norovirus from swimming in Blue Lake and its also common for people to get sick after swimming there too. Couple years ago it was closed down due to high levels of e.coli, here's the link.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2014/07/e_coli_pops_up_in_shallow_wate.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2014/07/blue_lake_swimming_lake_closed.html

Last edited:
J
~JM~
I remember hearing these types of stories about Blue Lake.

Thanks