Grande Ronde(Troy)

B
bigcat
Was wondering if it's worth the drive for some decent summer steelhead action on the ronde?

B
beaverfan
After looking at the regs it looks like the grande ronde is close to salmon/steelhead fishing.

G
gordoniu
I have read reports that steelheading is just getting underway above Troy and some fly fishers are doing well. The Grande Ronde is open for fin-clipped steelhead Sept. 1-December 31, according to the Regs. I am going there next week for 5 days fishing. The river is in good shape--about 900 cfs--and I expect good fishing. Good luck.

F
FishFiddle
Sounds like a blast! Hope you give us a report...

G
gordoniu
Just returned from the Grande Ronde fly fishing 5 days from Minam to Troy on pontoons. As a group of 6 we landed 18 steelhead on flies. Not great fishing but weather was great for 4 of the 5 days and we really had a great time. I landed 5 steelhead, 2 nymphing with size 6 prince nymphs, and 3 swinging deep with weighted black leeches and intruders. Winding Waters outfitters supported the trip, setting up camps daily, preparing the food, and managing the logistics. They did a great job and I highly recommend them.

G
GDBrown
I spent a few days at the Minam Camp Ground in early September and had my first steelhead take a dry fly on my 6wt. It only lasted about 45 seconds but it was the most exciting 45 seconds I've had in years. I had been nymphing for trout when I saw this fish start rising to large flies so I tied on the larges elk hair caddis in my box. Too bad I didn't think to change the 4lb tippet while I was at it!

Fly fishing is great fun.../ I may be getting rid of some of my other gear so I'm not tempted to use it so much. I've already got my eye on an 8wt. I just need to do better at my exercises so I can stand up straight in the river!

GD