Got a pole and a reel, but what line do I need!?!

D
dmarc85
I have a #6 fly pole reel combo but Im really confused as to what size backing, line, leader, tippet and fly that I need. I'm obviously a noob. Can someone make an explicit reccomendation?? Id really appreciate it.

Also, I have never seen tippets before or fly leader. Do need to get this stuff at a specialty shop?

Last edited:
R
redhawk50
I would do a #6 weight forward floating line if you are planning on dry flies and shallow nymphing. You can loop a leader onto the line, leaders can be bought at most any fishing store not just fly shops. I would go with a 9 ft 6x leader or heavier and then tie tippet tippet on to that with a double surgeons knot. Backing is pretty simple get 20lb. backing look on the reel specs to see how much you should put on. Or go to a fly shop and they do it all for you for free if you buy the line there. They will even do the backing etc.

B
Backcastwards
:) You will soon want to learn to say fly rod. Anyway, welcome to the dark side. It starts out slowly and then you will want to start tying your own flies. Then... Stick with it and take a lesson or two. There is a bit larger learning curve but there are lots of people who have been there and are willing to help. A local fly shop is a great way to get info. also try Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.

Last edited:
D
dmarc85
redhawk50 said:
I would do a #6 weight forward floating line if you are planning on dry flies and shallow nymphing. You can loop a leader onto the line, leaders can be bought at most any fishing store not just fly shops. I would go with a 9 ft 6x leader or heavier and then tie tippet tippet on to that with a double surgeons knot. Backing is pretty simple get 20lb. backing look on the reel specs to see how much you should put on. Or go to a fly shop and they do it all for you for free if you buy the line there. They will even do the backing etc.

Thanks rh. Is there is a difference between fly leader and regular leader? Is leader? I lost the manual for my reel too. It was a birthday present from like 10 years ago. Is there some kind of chart online for all these sizes...

G
GDBrown
Fly Line Leaders

Fly Line Leaders

:)YES!!!
Leaders for fly fishing are tapered from the butt to the tip. If you have a book that shows how to type fishing knots get it out and PRACTICE over and over again. The most used knots for fly fishing (after the one that attached the fly to the tippet) will be the blood knot and the surgeon knot.
Many flyfishers like to use a nail knot to attach the leader to the main line. There are machanical attachers that make it easy to change leaders if you want, They come in the leader package itself. I prefer to have about one foot of the butt end of an old leader tied to my main line with a nail knot then I attach the new leader to that with a blood knot.
Once you have it all together tie some pink yarn to the end of the leader and find a football field (or the like) and practice backcasting until you can do it without snapping the yarn like a bull whip. The hardest part is learning to WAIT until the line is layed out flat behind you head before you start the forward stroke.

Finding a video demo on YouTube will help shorten the learning cure. Like has been said before don't be afraid to take a couple of lessons. They will be well worth the money!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. We'll help you iron out the snags as you go along.

GD

Last edited:
B
Backcastwards
Here is a link to a you tube video showing how to use a tool made for tying fly fishing knots. I bought one of these tools when I first started fly fishing but the instructions were not very good. This video made it look as easy as it is and I now this tool is in my vest at all times.
Gary
YouTube - Tie-Fast Tool for nail knots

O
OnTheFly
Backcastwards said:
:) You will soon want to learn to say fly rod. Anyway, welcome to the dark side. It starts out slowly and then you will want to start tying your own flies. Then... Stick with it and take a lesson or two. There is a bit larger learning curve but there are lots of people who have been there and are willing to help. A local fly shop is a great way to get info. also try Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.

definitely say fly ROD One would get a lot of these :rolleyes::rolleyes: and these :lol::lol: in a fly shop if you said pole, for sure. Great advice! Not sure what you meant about the dark side though. I thought it was the other way around.:D

B
Backcastwards
OnTheFly said:
definitely say fly ROD Not sure what you meant about the dark side though. I thought it was the other way around.:D

Don't want to sound elitist or snobby do we?

O
OnTheFly
Backcastwards said:
Don't want to sound elitist or snobby do we?

Nope.;)

L
Lostinthemix
That doesn't happen til we start quoting the latin names for bugs(um I mean insects lol) which I still dont know lol.
Lost

M
Markcanby
I saw a show with some old time fly expert an it was funny he said while everyone else was studying "bugs" he studied fish an that's why he was such a great fly fisherman.

L
Lostinthemix
Exactly lol. I dont know the english name for any of the bugs down here (well maybe the mosquito)let alone the latin name for anything. I grew up fishing in alaska and I could prob catch every species I fished for up there on half a dozen patterns of diff sizes and they'd all be attractors only thing that would resemble anything that actually exists would be an alevin or maybe a polar shrimp but I dont need that really as long as I dont run out of my personal fav the purple eggsucking leach lol. How would you say egg sucking leach in latin I wonder lol. Good luck learning how to flyfish(seriously) it wont take long for the addiction to take hold of you.
Good luck
Lost

P
platteflyfisher
Like Backastwards posted

Like Backastwards posted

Flyanglersonline.com is deinitely the best site to go to learn extras on flyfishing. Fishwest.com is good for Oregon. Once you start hitting a few good flyfishing shops the owners will add you to their personal posts so you can get their local knowledge on tap. Remember the best part of flyfishing is the solitude you get when venturing away from crowds. When elk, big horn sheep and buffalo come into the water within casting distance, you know you are in the right place and the fish are just a bonus.

F
FishFinger
When your just starting out I highly recommend you pick up a copy of "The Curtis Creek Manifesto" It's a fun read and will help you to understand the components and tactics of fly fishing.