Good fly fishing water

K
koboabe
Hello all,
I am not new to trout fishing, but I am new to Fly Fishing.
I have a friend who wants to teach me, but she just moved here from out of state.
I don't want any honey hole info, but can anyone share basic location and pattern/color info for my first learning experience?

O
OnTheFly
Procede with caution! Fly fishing may change the way you fish forever! August is a slow month but you can still pick up fish. Any lake holding fish will do. I would start with #10 olive, black or brown crystal buggers, and Carey specials work very well. Good luck out there.

M
Markcanby
Or if you want to actualy fly fish (Sorry OTF:lol:) try Copper John in any of riffles in the Molalla. Its slow but its good pratice water an you will get a few here an there.

O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:
Or if you want to actualy fly fish (Sorry OTF:lol:) try Copper John in any of riffles in the Molalla. Its slow but its good pratice water an you will get a few here an there.

Well....you heard him say he didn't want any info about honey holes. Heck, If he had asked I'da told him where mine were! lol.

M
Markcanby
I was referring to you love of wooly buggers!:lol:

OTF thinks kicking back in his toon with a beer an a smoke trolling buggers is the only way to fly fish!:lol::lol::lol:

O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:
I was referring to you love of wooly buggers!:lol:

OTF thinks kicking back in his toon with a beer an a smoke trolling buggers is the only way to fly fish!:lol::lol::lol:

LOL! and this is coming from a guy who targets carp and finds enjoyment hanging from cliffs hunting chuckers......get real!:lol::lol:

E
everett464
I have to say... When I say OTF as the second post on the thread I was like, here we go... lakes and buggers.

On the real, fishing in a lake out of a toon stripping in wooly buggers would be a great way to have a first experience. You'd have an opportunity to work on your cast from the bank and from a sitting position with little to no brush in your backcast, you'd be able to cover a lot of water, and you would have an opportunity to catch fish.

That said, my suggestion is the same as MC's: go find yourself a smallish slowish stream, and learn to fly-fish somewhere that you can learn the mechanics of a drift. Casting into a lake is not a very responsive way to fish. A current gives you feedback, and provides a more interactive trip IMO.

Unfortunately I don't know the spots near P-town very well. I know there are places on the Clack where you could learn, but that likely are not ideal for a variety of reasons.

If you are coming down to Eugene anytime soon and want to fish, PM me. There are two holes in particular where I learned to fish that are simple to cast into, provide an excellent mix of hydraulics, and are near can't-miss when it comes to fishies.

O
OnTheFly
everett464 said:
I have to say... When I say OTF as the second post on the thread I was like, here we go... lakes and buggers.

LMAO! You guys love to give me a hard time don't you.:lol: I couldn't agree with you more everett. Stream and river fishing is more complex and challenging. The rules and techniques are a little different too. There is something about the hunt that draws you to drift your fly into that slot or just behind that rock or back eddy. I have made several posts to the new fly fisherman and suggested lake fishing only as a sure fire way to catch fish on a fly. Yes I love my lake fishing but I didn't mean to create a reputation from it.:cool:

E
everett464
Yes I love my lake fishing but I didn't mean to create a reputation from it.

Definitely just giving you a hard time. You know, it takes all kinds, and fishing is unique in that the there is no right or wrong way to do it. The proof is always in the pudding.

Koboabe, where ever, or how ever you learn, you'll love it. Fly fishing is, IMO, the most intuitive, the most creative, and the most rewarding way to fish.

E
everett464
Also! If I was going to limit myself to a small selection of flies to begin fishing streams in Oregon in August, I would pick up these four flies: size 14 Tan Elk Hair Caddis; Size 14 Parachute Green Drake with a white prachute; Size 8 Peacock Mega Prince; and Size 10 Possie Bugger.

With 2 or three of each of those, you will get into fish if there are fish to get into. Fish the nymphs, under an indicator, when the sun is high; start with the Mega Prince, and if you are getting hits but no takes switch to the Possie Bugger. When the sun gets low, or once you start to see trout come to the surface, switch to the EHC first, and then switch to the GD if you feel like the fish are coming up for everything besides your fly.

Everett

Edit: I said "in August," but those four flies will catch trout all year long.

O
OnTheFly
everett464 said:
Definitely just giving you a hard time.QUOTE]

I know...that's the funny part. Did I mention that so far this year I have fished The Wilson, Clackamas, Sandy, Upper and Lower Deschutes, the Crooked, and Fall River?

PM sent

M
Markcanby
We know you like river fish OTF but its just so much fun getting your goat.

As for flys I really like Copper John an BWO.

G
GDBrown
koboabe said:
Hello all,
I am not new to trout fishing, but I am new to Fly Fishing.
I have a friend who wants to teach me, but she just moved here from out of state.
I don't want any honey hole info, but can anyone share basic location and pattern/color info for my first learning experience?

Now that you've heard these guys banter back and forth about how to fly fish and that August is a slow month.....

Any small stream or river that holds fish will work just fine. A small stream is what the Wilson river is right now, I was down there on Thursday evening and while two guys were trying to coaxes a steelhead to chase their fly I went to the top of the hole and caught 25-30 small trout/cutthroat in about an hour and a half with two dry flies. That's 15 fish per fly! The only reason I changed was because they stopped taking the first one. I had to quit when it got too dark to see the strike and I needed to find the trail back to the car. The short version is if the fish are rising to the surface and jumping they are taking dry flies, if they are just rising but not jumping then the dries will not work. I was using a light tan caddis fly and a royal wolfe both in a size 16-18.

GD

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
GDBrown said:
Now that you've heard these guys banter back and forth about how to fly fish and that August is a slow month.....GD

:lol:;)

G
GDBrown
Laugh all you want!

Laugh all you want!

OnTheFly said:

Yea it was funny, all my fish looked about like this:

IMG_0419.jpg
IMG_0420.jpg
IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0422.jpg
They weren't very big but it was better than NO steel.:cool:

GD

G
GDBrown
Wilson Again!

Wilson Again!

Leaving now for some more fun with the 4wt!

Pictures @ 11.

GD