Good float tube spots within 2 hours of Portland?

H
handmethewrench
I just got my first float tube! I am really excited and am taking it out tomorrow to Hagg lake. I picked Hagg because i have fished it many times before I started Fly Fishing, so I know the area somewhat.

I also plan to check out Lost Lake Hood river and was just told about Laurence Lake. I would love suggestions of places, general advice, or any tips for a newish fly fisher and brand new float tube owner. Or, good float tube store are great, just read one about a guy getting pulled around by a smallmouth.

Oh, I plan on targeting trout, bass, panfish (so, what ever I can basically).

Thanks in advance

D
DrTheopolis
A looong time ago, I saw a guy hook a pretty sizable Chinook from a tube in the Salmon River tidewater. I was on the bank, sharing a good laugh with everyone else. He got to the bank, and someone netted it for him.

B
bagold53
I like Trillium Lake for float tubes. It is not as big as Hagg and I like the atmosphere better. Hagg you have Motor boaters that dont seem to care if they are in the no wake zone. I was out there on Thursday and a Basshole was barreling through the No Wake buoys. Really wish the sheriff was around that day. I would be leery on a float tube with a lot of recreational boaters expecially motor boaters.

Since I have a feeling I will be asked a Basshole is a person on a bass boat normally fishing for bass that does not care how he is affecting his/her fellow fisherman. Runs from spot to spot at full speed regardless of the rules of the water.

H
handmethewrench
Thanks for the heads up. I plan on staying pretty close to shore in general.
and bass hole is a new one, I like it.

I was almost tipped on a canoe on the Gilbert river by some party boat jerks, I got a photo and turned them in to the rangers. in the pic it had a lady riding on the bow, major fine.

hoping that it being a weekday there will not be too many people.

D
DrTheopolis
Love the term.

What do you call the same guy in a sled on the Columbia/Willy? Just leave the B OFF?

H
handmethewrench
NOT planning on Salmon fishing from the tube, holy crap, seems nuts.

D
DrTheopolis
handmethewrench said:
NOT planning on Salmon fishing from the tube, holy crap, seems nuts.

If I hooked one big enough to drag me under to my death, I'd die a happy man.

Not like he went outside from Garibaldi.

T
TimberTodd
Lost Lake in Clatsop county is a good destination. Only about an hours drive.

S
sapo
Lost lake, mirror lake

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you can get your hands on a copy of "Lake Fly Fishing Guide by Jim Bradbury and Beverly Miller you'll have it made. It will give you directions, how to fish and which flies to use for many lake right in the area you asked about. Badger Lake, Barnes Butte Lake, Clear Lake, Frog Lake, Harriet Lake, Jean Lake, Laurence Lake, Olallie Lake, Pine Hollow Reservoir, Rock Creek Reservoir, Round Lake, Trillium Lake , Timothy Lake and many more. It comes from Frank Amato Publishing and is full of information on these lakes and fly fishing from a float tube. You might be able to find it online or at the library. I bought my copy about 21 years ago and still refer to it. Good luck

P
playhooky
Irishrover said:
If you can get your hands on a copy of "Lake Fly Fishing Guide by Jim Bradbury and Beverly Miller you'll have it made. It will give you directions, how to fish and which flies to use for many lake right in the area you asked about. Badger Lake, Barnes Butte Lake, Clear Lake, Frog Lake, Harriet Lake, Jean Lake, Laurence Lake, Olallie Lake, Pine Hollow Reservoir, Rock Creek Reservoir, Round Lake, Trillium Lake , Timothy Lake and many more. It comes from Frank Amato Publishing and is full of information on these lakes and fly fishing from a float tube. You might be able to find it online or at the library. I bought my copy about 21 years ago and still refer to it. Good luck

I see Harriet in this listing. I'm not seeing it in the synopsis so assuming it's a year-round fishery. Supposedly it's fair rainbow water and also good for a few browns.....from what I've heard. Anything you can add?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irishrover
Irishrover
It's a nice small piece of water. It is open year round dependent on the snow level. This year I don't think it will be a problem. A couple of years ago a group of us from off got together in January and made a trip up there. We had a fun day and did catch a few fish including rainbows and some nice browns. At that time of year it was sinking lines and nymphs. Well worth the trip but it can get crowded in the summer as does Trillium. In the spring Laurence is a favorite spot, ant patterns when the wind blows them out of the trees on the south side of the lake.

B
Billamicasr
I've not seen or read the book, but I just Googled it and came up with a pile of very inexpensive hit. Amazon for instance has 20 used from $1.99, 10 new from $4.43 and even a collectable book (what?) from $7.74. I also tried E-Bay and found a couple, both used and with shipping almost $10.00 each (ouch!).

Great suggestion Irishrover, a nice lost cost guide; I've got a used book seller close by where I trade in my old reads, I wonder if they have one.

Decided I couldn't do much better so I ordered the book online (Amazon) total cost $5.98 including shipping. I'm pretty sure it will make a nice addition to the "where to go" collection. I'll keep it right next to my "Soggy Sneakers" book.

Last edited:
C
cpeaslee
Good info! I just ordered a copy from Amazon as well.

H
handmethewrench
Thanks everyone! such great info, going to order the book as well.

A
alangcrouch
Wow - Jim and Beverly's book is not so easy to find these days. Only 3 on Amazon, and lowest was $47. Found a few on ebay where the lowest asking price is $19.99 with $3 shipping. What a difference 5 years makes ! Hoping I can pick one up on ebay this month, and try out a float tube at all the great spots mentioned above.