Good deep sea fishing guide/charter

L
Lancep51
Hello,

I'm thinking about going deep sea fishing in May with the wife. We want to go Halibut fishing and also Bottom fishing as a combo, plus crabbing if it is possible. I was seeing if anybody had some good recommendations and good prices. Oregon or Washington Charters are welcome.

Irishrover
Irishrover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/RBV-Adventures-Fishing-Guide-Service/403873556376845

If you are looking for halibut and bottom fish on the same trip it won't work. Only because it is illegal. If you have halibut on board you can only keep other flat fish or black cod (sable fish). If you want to go out on a good "six pack" boat verses a full charter experience I would recommend Randy Vanderhoof of RBV Adventures. He runs a 26' Duckworth Offshore out of Astoria and does know where to find halibut and rock fish. He is very knowledgeable about the area and its fish. 503-502-7983.

L
Lancep51
Thank you for the information. I've heard that you can't have both fish on the same boat but I've also heard back from charters that have quoted me to do a Halibut/Bottom fish combo in Oregon. Is it illegal to do that in Washington?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'm not sure about the Washington regulations but I'll bet they are similar to Oregon's. Those charters are probably counting the other flat fish and sable fish as bottom fish. I just checked Oregon regs and no way you can have halibut and rockfish onboard at the same time.

P
pinstriper
I was a few months away but I'd be very interested in hearing about Halibut and Tuna charters.

Irishrover
Irishrover
There are some god tuna charters out of Astoria-Ilwaco RBV Adventures being one. Another for tuna is Shake n Bake. Newport has a fleet of charter boats for both. I haven't been on a charter boat for many years but if I did go I'd look for the six pack charter. There are a lot less people on board and more of a fishing experience.

L
Lancep51
I decided to take the wife on a vacation trip more of a romantic one where we are renting a house with a hot tub and grill. So we decided that we were going to fish off of Victoria island in Sooke BC. I found a guide that will take us out for a full day with just us for $700 Canadian, which is about $516 US. So it will be a bit more expensive but it is me and my wife with the guide fishing for everything in the water. So I hope to come home with Halibut, Rockfish, Cod, Crab and maybe a Salmon all in one trip.

P
pinstriper
Irishrover;n600847 said:
There are some god tuna charters out of Astoria-Ilwaco RBV Adventures being one. Another for tuna is Shake n Bake. Newport has a fleet of charter boats for both. I haven't been on a charter boat for many years but if I did go I'd look for the six pack charter. There are a lot less people on board and more of a fishing experience.

OK, I'll bite.

What's a "six pack charter" ? It sounds kinda wonderful, actually, but I don't want to fall for that one, again.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Oh no not what it sounds like, not a six pack of beer. It's more like a guide boat than a charter. Instead of a 50' charter boat with a captain who drivers the boat and a deck hand to deal with customers. You fish from a smaller boat like RBV Adventures. He has a Duckworth 26 Offshore boat. The maximum amount of clients he takes is six, thus the term six pack license. It's a slang term the guides use. Some six pack guides are Brandon Glass, Bob Toman, and I believe Marvins Guide service. You tend to get more individual attention on a six pack trip verses a charter that may have more than 15 people on board. Check out this site and look at the size of the boat.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RBV-A...03873556376845

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Lancep51;n600868 said:
I decided to take the wife on a vacation trip more of a romantic one where we are renting a house with a hot tub and grill. So we decided that we were going to fish off of Victoria island in Sooke BC. I found a guide that will take us out for a full day with just us for $700 Canadian, which is about $516 US. So it will be a bit more expensive but it is me and my wife with the guide fishing for everything in the water. So I hope to come home with Halibut, Rockfish, Cod, Crab and maybe a Salmon all in one trip.

That is awesome. Your wife should be happy with that. My wife and I escape to Victoria and Vancouver Island from time to time. Great place and what a good idea!